Used 2014 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda CX-5

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Very disappointed
By kimberlyr1

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my car in Oct 2013, and it was ok for about 5 months. I switched from a Toyota Highlander (which I absolutely LOVED) to save on gas. While I realized gas savings over the Highlander, I am not getting the gas mileage they promised. I average 26 mpg tops!

On top of that, my vehicle had to be at the service center on 3 occasions, all for the same problem. My push button start would not work correctly. They still haven't fully fixed the problem.

The other problems are road noise and no interior storage, and not enough cup holders, which made for a very long trip with my kids.

All in all, while it has saved some $ on gas, I don't think I would not buy another Mazda again.

I do love the sunroof and the heated seats in the winter. The integrated back up camera is definitely a bonus, which I use all the time, and didn't think I would like.

More interior storage. More cup holders. Insulation against road noise and somehow fix the sunroof so that when it is opened, it is quieter. I have had sunroofs in the past, but in this one, you really have to raise your voice just to talk. All windows have to be closed to talk to someone on bluetooth.

Happy so far
By billmz66

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

After much online research (on edmunds and elsewhere) I decided on the CX-5 over the RAV-4 and the CR-V. I based this on horsepower, transmission, styling and fun-to-drive factors. Leased the vehicle in January, now have over 10K miles. Mostly use it for weekend trips and daily commute. My mileage is at 28 combined which is right about the sticker est.

The styling inside and out. The AWD was great in the past winter (we had tons of snow in NJ). There is enough power and the trans is smooth. Steering and handling is precise. Very stable in turns. Pandora interface is good. Ipod interface could be better. Sound is very good, but there is no control for the center dash speaker. I really like the backup camera , given the limited visibility through the rear window. Plenty of head room and leg room, even in the rear. The 40-20-40 split seats are practical. Bluetooth sync-up with my Iphone is seamless. While the engine complains a bit up steep hills, stepping on the pedal delivers plenty of juice to climb any I've encountered.

More lighting and anti-scuff material in the cargo area would be great. Better audio controls on the steering wheel (selection of AM/FM bands can only be made on the touch screen). The steering wheel itself is a bit small, but I'm getting used to it. Would like the radio and windows to operate after shutting off the engine - I have to push the start button again (when getting gas for example) to lower the windows and/or continue a phone call. The steering may be a bit too tight - requires constant attention on the highway - slightest tick of the wheel and I'm in the other lane.

Fantastic car - made 2 of my friends buy them!
By compurip

2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Favorite car I have owned so far, and my first Mazda. I purchased it in Feb of 2014, I got the AWD Sport model since I wanted a lease payment under $300 a month - can't say enough good stuff about this car. I rented one for a weekend previously to see how it was, and took it through a foot of snow in upstate NY without a slip or slide. It was comfortable and a ton of fun to drive.

Handling and steering feel. The car feels stable and predictable. Overall, it's the vehicle I've felt most comfortable in that I've owned. It just feels like an extension of you when you're driving it - not something you're likely to find in this class.

Anything I don't like about the car is minor - such as I wish it had auto up-down windows on all 4 windows, not just the driver window. Otherwise, the stereo is terrible - Bluetooth on an iOS device takes FOREVER to start up, shuffle doesn't work (except through voice command). Apparently Apple moved over to a new Bluetooth interface, and Mazda isn't compatible after 2 years. But if you're all about the stereo, get a Honda CRV. I'd rather have a car that's enjoyable to drive.

Overly Impressed!
By jgoal55

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I am really, really impressed so far. I switched over from an Infiniti G37 S because I wanted a bit more room with a new baby in the house. It also saved about $90 per month on car payments. I definitely miss the pick up on the G37 but in terms of technology (ease of use and device compatibility) and comfort, the CX-5 blows the G37 away.

Few features that I miss are memory for the driver seat positions (not available) and power passenger seat (not available). But I can definitely live without those and overall the car is excellent.

It handles well, tight steering, comfortable seats, surprisingly spacious for a crossover, and great gas mileage so far.

2+ years later...
By photoguy22

2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Review of our car after 2-1/2 years of ownership.

Our 2014 CX5 GS AWD continues to be a good vehicle and everything continues to be pretty much as expected.
The gas mileage continues to be low 20's around town and high 20's on the highway. A little lower than I would like for a small vehicle, but comparable to others.
The performance though, remains mediocre at best - Mazda really needs to work on this...

Lack of interior lighting in the rear remains a real miss.

Bose Audio system is very nice! Some indicate it's not a "true" Bose, but it is quite acceptable.

Had a periodic issue with the tire pressure sensor telling us air is low when it's w/in 1 lb of standard.
Apparently it's very sensitive - too much so! This issue is no longer occurring - a software update may have cured it.

A few entertainment system gremlins have popped up requiring some shop visits to fix Bluetooth and USB. Nothing huge, but a little new for this to happen in my opinion.

See likes/dislikes below for various features.

Over-all, still a good choice!