Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda CX-5

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

I Really Wanted to Like the CX-5
By redskins5926

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The CX-5 is certainly the best-handling crossover on the market, with dynamics similar to the BMW X1/X3.
The ride was stiff, which was good on smooth roads but uncomfortable on rough roads.
Space was plenty for passenger comfort as well as cargo.

But the big disappointment with the 2013 CX-5 was the engine and transmission.
The engine is definitely underpowered for the car, I literally had to floor the gas pedal every time I merged onto the highway.
The transmission was even more terrible as it lagged significantly whenever I floored the pedal to get more power.
Fuel economy was good, though not significantly worth it with the underpowered engine.

Layout of controls, smartkey system, HID headlights

Engine (though this seems to have been remediated for 2014 with the more powerful 2.5 engine option). Transmission lag. The LCD display for the audio and nav is too small.

One Year Later
By mary668

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

One year later, no major problems.
Runs well, still comfortable, decent sound system (I don't expect a studio experience), no new noises, rear door still occasionally resists latching once, closes the second time.
My primary concern is getting on the interstate via a short ramp and 70mph plus speeds whizzing by, this car can be dangerous trying to get up to speed fast.
It hesitates too long or is unpredictable in it's response. Hope future CX-5 engineers fix this danger.

Not as expected
By datulip

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

So, I have had this car for about a year and my biggest complaint is the performance.
If you don't drive on the freeway this may be the car for you.
If you need to get moving quickly - don't even think about it.
Secondary issue is the gas mileage.
Advertised as 26 city and 32 highway.
I have averaged 22 in the city; 28 highway; and 23 mixed.
Not much of a consolation for the lackluster engine.
Overall the design is pretty good and handling is fair.
It does get quite a bit of wind noise.
It has been reliable over this first year of ownership with no issues.
Last issue - keyless entry isn't really keyless.
Must have the key in hand to unlock the doors with this model.

Good price point, but perhaps an example of getting what you pay for...

Be honest and up front about the car. Don't advertise it as having keyless entry if it doesn't. Don't advertise mileage that it will never achieve (yes, I've tried it with AC off and consistent level driving with few accelerations and it comes close to the advertised amount, but who does this in real life long term?) By all means, ensure that all potential buyers take it on the freeway during a test drive. Buyers be ware! Pay close attention to the acceleration or lack thereof. Last, but certainly not least - fix the headrests! They are terrible. They put the head at a very uncomfortable position if you are a person who sits upright (both my husband & I hate this).

Tire warning light problem
By mccreery

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Overall car is good, BUT, tire pressure light keeps coming on. Dealer has reset it, comes back on in less than 10 miles, dealer resets again and stays off for a month, back on again. I have done this dance 4+ times and is on again! No the tires are not low, no I have not pushed the reset button. I think this is a defect.

gas mileage
By robert_suv

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I own a CX5 AWD with a hitch. I have reviewed this car when it was new and I am now reviewing it after one years worth of driving.
The most impressive feature for me is the outstanding gas mileage in this car. I recently hyper- tested my mileage for about 100 miles over flat and/or gently rolling country roads with a fair amount of traffic and squeezed about 40 MPG from the car. I average 35mpg normally. The info gauge seemed slightly generous with a reading of about 45mpg. I set the info gauge to averaging mode which is a little confusing as to how it calculates it's figure but I'm not complaining too much. The handling is outstanding although over bumpy road conditions it is a bit harsh.

Style, handling and gas mileage.

The fold down seats in the back could lay flatter. The radio shuts off when turning off the engine and to get it back on is a wait of a few seconds. The key fob shape is not user friendly (the lock & unlock buttons are identical in shape/feel).