Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda CX-5

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

CX-5 Grand Touring-(27,500 miles) Fun car but underpowered
By mnvpierson

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I think I was the 2nd person to buy in MN because I was waiting for the cx-5 or the escape whichever came first.
Bought the car in Feb of 2012 and have really enjoyed the car and now have 27,500 miles on the car.
It is fun to drive.
The tires are 19 in and were replaced at 23k and are expensive because they are not a popular size. The only problem is it is underpowered with the 2.0 especially pulling out into traffic or having the car loaded with 5 people, almost unsafe.
Would not buy this again but would consider the 2014 which has the bigger engine. I get 32 mpg on the highway and 20 or 21 mpg in the city which is a stop light ever mile or so. For a suv we were happy with the mpg.

It's cool and sporty looking. It will zoom zoom for you as long as you only have one person in the car. Leather and quality of the car is good. Seating is spacious.

Need to get more power. It is almost unsafe with the way it is. I am glad to hear the new ones have a bigger engine. Transmission seems to downshift funny especially when you stop quickly

CX-5 4 Cylinder Base Model
By milljockey

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Purchase a CX-5 4-Cylinder Base model on Jan 18, 2013. After one year of ownership, I am still happy with the purchase, no major issues have cropped up, and everything seems to be working fine. I purchased this car to replace a 1999 chevy venture that we had outgrown. Most of the reviews I have read complain of poor fuel economy and lack of engine performance. If you wanted performance then buy a sports car! This is a small SUV with a small engine, Most of our driving is done in town under 40 MPH on flat Kansas roads. After one year I only have 9,000 Miles on the car.

The seats were more comfortable that the seats in the Chevy Equinox, not as pricey as a Rav 4, or Equinox. I didn't consider trying a Ford Escape, I didn't even give for a try, their quality usually is inferior. I am not happy with the layout for the window wipers, headlights, and cruise control. Then again I am used to the Chevy layout for these! I settled on Mazda for price, comfort, and quality. Time will tell if I made the correct choice for a new car. This is my first time for owning a brand new car, I have always owned used cars. I kept my Chevy Van for 10 years it had 210K miles on it when sold, and it was 4 years old when I bought it, it will be nice to see how long I keep this one.

Make the Cruise control, and windshield wiper control more like those found on the Chevy's. have automatic headlights on, not just the running lights.

Best of the current breed
By tenfour

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Doing as much research as possible on the current market led me to the CX-5.
A long term RAV4 owner with friends who drive Subarus provided some first hand insight on my most likely competitor candidates.
Yet a test drive--along with some nudging from style--made the decision an easy one.
I settled on a Touring AWD with Sunroof and Bose.
So far I'm pleased with the driving experience, style, value and comfort.
Any negatives?
Yes, for a dozen reasons, I wish I did NOT purchase the Bose audio system.
What a waste of $ not to mention effort I'll expend to replace it with something less annoying.

Mazda Never Again. Never Ever.
By bluzone2

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Now about 45,000 miles. The car is garaged. Top overall mpg is only 25.3, in spite of all thruway and interstate driving. Now on its Third set of rotors all around. That averages about 16,000 miles per rotor complete replacement. Accidentally backed up along my spruce tree and the Needles scratched the paint.
The carpet is shot in spite of using heavy duty aftermarket mats.
Wanna buy one?

Cross shopped all the high-efficiency small AWDs. Mazda was a little more expensive but "appeared" to have more amenities. Appearances are deceiving. I bought a fully loaded GT CX-5 with everything but a NAV, based on reviews of the NAV. After 6500 miles that pretty sky blue paint has more white zits than a teenager, the leather is like paper, the "Bose" speakers sound like a discount house box speaker, and I can't get the fuel efficiency higher than 26.0 on interstate driving. Mazda, by way of your dealer, will not stand behind its product.

Best Crossover
By armtech

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My salesman was right, Mazda has that Europian drive like feeling, I test drove the Rav4 and the Crv, but Mazda Cx5 was the winner, I am really impressed all the way around, quality build, I don't think the RAV4 is in the same category to be honest, felt boring, too light, lot of road noise,
Matter of fact Just traded my 2013 cx5 and got the new 2016 Cx5!