Used 2002 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Pretty good little car for the money
By Jason

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like it; could use a little more power, but it is fun to drive and has decent acceleration. I only get about 22-25 miles/gallon with the 2.0 litre inline four so fuel economy is suffering a bit with age. All in all it is a good car for the money if you can get around the non-sporty looks of the outside. I added a K&N air filter, a tornado air management system and superflo exhaust system to my car so it is slightly peppier than some of the stock 626's around.

15" wheels, CD player, and comfortably designed interior.

More power please! Rear suspension components rattle a bit over every little bump.

Mazda 626 - not worth the money
By kristywahoo1

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mazda 626 because I've always thought of Mazda as a company like Toyota or Honda - a company that stands behind its quality cars. I was wrong. I bought my 626 a year ago, and already it needs a transmission. The interior is spacious and borderline elegant, and the exterior is solid and the exterior, sturdy. Mine is only 3 years old, and had a full inspect upon purchase. The car jerks when shifting gears, and it's unreliable. Mazda used the same transmission as the 2002 Ford Probe that year, which also was faulty. Beware....Mazda will not take responsibility and provide and extended warranty. They apparently don't want to pay for their mistakes, so their customers have to

Interior has a nice design, very spacious, close to camry size.

Transmission RECALL/extended warranty.

Reliable and zippy family sedan
By Carcrazy10

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my 99 626 V6 as a preowned with 84K miles on it and have driven over 22k miles since then. No major repairs other than spark plug wires. Regular oil changes and fuel additives like injector cleaners and gas treatment keeps the engine running smooth.Very reliable and friends riding in the backseat love the comfortable seats.

Swinging A/C vents. Auto power off for the headlights. Decent factory installed stereo.

Not made anymore so will skip this.

Sport Performance Commuter
By troyb

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used for $9,900 last June (2004). It had 10,800 miles on it then and currently has 22,500. I have had no mechanical problems. I am 6'4"+ so the vehicle gets a bit uncomfortable on 1-hour+ rides (leg room). There is not really ample room for adult passengers in the back seat, I think the '02 Protege has more space. The V-6/5-spd is quite peppy, especially on the highway. I average between 26-29 mpg. The interior is simple and functional. The exterior design is nice, but the paint scratches easier then other cars I have owned and the door molding paint is fading. The suspension is sporty, but can get uncomfortable on bumpy roads.

The 5-speed manual is fantastic! The V- 6 engine performs very well. I like the interior and dash design and layout. It performs great on the highway. For the cost it is a great car and has been very reliable for me. I plan to keep it around for a while.

There are hardly any aftermarket upgrades for the V-6 Mazda 626. I know the Mazda 6 has about the same driver leg room so that could be improved upon. I know the Accord and Camry are a lot more roomy & comfortable-but more expensive.

Good for commuting
By commuterdriver

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it when it was a year old and it has been a good commuter car. Nothing really bad about it. The horsepower is a little weak when going up big hills though. Last 10,000 miles or so, the engine has developed this buzz that has not gone away. Someday I will take it to the Mazda dealer to analyze.

Drivability is nice, handles well in all weather conditions. Fuel economy is pretty decent.

25 more horsepower would be nice.