Used 2000 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Almost 120,000 miles in 6 years!!
By CR

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've driven this car A LOT -- long road trips, extended periods of stop & go local driving, and commuting up a mountain and back 6 days a week for almost 2 years. It is very comfortable. The only downside is the tiny engine. I've maintained my car well and it now has 163,000+ miles. I am finally in need of a new one. The struts are shot and so are my motor mounts. I think these issues may have been caused, in part, by my driving around for a month with a broken sway-bar link (part of the suspension). I've never had a problem with my transmission, or engine. I'd get my car fixed, but with 163,000+ miles it is hard to say how much longer the transmission will last...I'll miss my car :-/

The interior design is fabulous -- comfortable seats, lots of storage spaces, a huge trunk, good cup holders, and oscillating air vents! I love that the radio antenna is built into the back window. I can listen to music while in the car wash :-)

All cars should have radio controls in the steering wheel! This car could use a better sound system. It could also use a more powerful engine. It's reliable, but not very spunky! Also, it's seats fold down, but there's only a small space in the middle that extends all the way to the truck.

206,000 miles
By Aeromech99

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Replaced transmission (about $800.00 used) but bought car for $500.00, great exterior condition, black with excellent paint. Will install a tranny cooler since none on car from factory. I drive about 50-60 miles a day and get satisfactory mpg. Best used car I ever bought. Need to fix A/C. Looks like a slow leak. Transmissions are hard to come by used, expect about $900-$1400 rebuilt with warranty. Shifts hard into 2nd gear, also hard on the downshift to 1st. Most gear heads i speak to say this is fine. If motor goes I will replace with 6 cyl.

Styling, easy reach of all features on dash. (6' 1" tall).

Better suspension, feels like it drifts on high speed gradual turns. Get a tranny cooler if you get this car used.

Best daily grind car
By Playfirst

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Very comfortable, engine buzzy at 75 mph, slow pick up - don't even bother to rev it past 3500 rpms, handles great, avg. 27.5 mpg mostly city driving. Awesome car for a practical lifestyle. I love it - best beater, daily grind car!

More power!

Buzzy engine, not rev happy

Just bought
By Echo1

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I just bought my 626, used of course, but I think it's going to be a good investment. I love the body style and its running great except for the hiccup with first gear. Ive read some of the previous reviews and am worried about the transmission, but my dealer offers a warranty on it for 2 years. I think I will take one persons advice and install a tranny cooler as soon as possible. Thanks to everyone for their great reviews and heads up! I hope this car will take me pretty far.

The body looks sharp, and the interior is amazing.

No get up and go on hills, getting out of first gear causes a jolt, and it floats all over the lane- hold on tight!!

Not satisfied
By Lori

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We were not satisfied with this vehicle at all. We have had nothing but problems with it and the parts and maintenance are expensive for this car. It has been in the shop several times for major work before it even hit 30,000 miles. It now has 65,000 miles and still nothing but trouble. We have decided to never own a Mazda or Ford due to the problems we have had.

The only thing we did like was that the air vents rotate for circulation. That is a moot point now though.

We have not had a transmission problem yet, but have heard from several people who own the same vehicle that they have had to replace the transmission a few times.