Used 1999 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Fun to drive, plenty of power, reliable
By Chuck W

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

I own a 1990 Miata which has been bulletproof and a blast to drive. When looking for a family car, the 626 seemed like a logical choice. It's a great highway cruiser, the handling is fantastic for a mid priced 4 door sedan, and it's been reliable. The gas mileage could be a little better, but it is a v6. From the research I've done and the posts on this site, it looks like the Mazda made v6 engine and tranny are the way to go.

The smooth V6, the Bose sound system, the oscillating vents, huge trunk, leather interior is lush.

I think its called the Mazda 6.

Never Again
By Very Confused

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 06 from a private owner. The car was in great condition and had 62k miles on it. 6 months after buying the car my the cd player decided it no longer wanted to play cds, the antenna will not go down and it makes this horrible noise whenever I put the radio on, now the AC doesnt work anymore I was told that the entire dash board needs to come out for the problem to be fixed $$$$$, also the power door locks doesnt work any more that too is making an awful loud noise that I cant stand This car is more of a headache than anything else. I wish i would have done more research on these types of cars and i only have 83,246 miles imagine what will happen at 40,000 save your money

Very roomy. Looks nice.

Was good but now...
By Jessica

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 45K on it and never had any problems up until 3 months ago.(100K) It has been a snowball ever since the Altanator belt went. Now the Alt. is bad the O2 sensor (don't know which one) The is oil leaking into exhaust valve, piston ring, fuel injector, there is a vacuum leak. The antenna has been broke since a month after i bought it. Sway bar was broke never knew till we changed the brakes. The altinator is very hard to get at. I loved the car and now it is snowballing on down. I kept up on it and took care of it. But I am to poor to fix it all at once now.

Swinging air vents. Handling in snow.

POWER, better design of the engine.

I love my Mazda
By cari's car

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My car has over 110,000 miles on it; Yesterday I got almost 40 mpg, interstate driving @ 73 mph with AC, cruise when possible. My car needs a tune up too, but always gets regular oil changes. I added a spoiler, alloy wheels and a stripe at purchase giving the design a more finished look; people still remark at how sporty my car is. I would buy another same model or V6 when/if this one ever gives up. I have minor back problems and the seats are great even for long distances; the rotating fan is great for in between weather and saves AC. Good buy for my money.

Good seats; rotating fan; fold down back seat open to trunk for hauling long stuff; great gas mileage on hwy; floor mats stay put front and back; nice big trunk; sound system pretty good; roomy interior; easy in and out even with handicap. Like grab bars above side windows. Stable ride; easy to handle!

Add spoiler, wheels and stripes on sides for sportier look; worth extra money. Chronic probs with headlights short/switch putting corrosion on prongs of lights and going out; dash rattle annoying; 1 cup holder bigger for regular coffee mug. AC tied to car cooling system makes it expensive to repair.

I love it
By stanley stoykov

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Very reliable. Still running strong after 147000 miles. Around 27 mpg city, hwy 32 mpg. Broken AC at 130000. With good maintenance, gonna last til 200000.

Very comfortable. Like the fuel economy and design.