Used 1999 Mazda 626 Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

1999 Mazda 626 LX w/ 200,000 miles
By mlapompe

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in Nov 1999 with a $2,250 rebate at $16k. As of July of 2009, it has 200,000 miles. Around 68k (after warranty exp) miles, I replaced the rack & pinion. I have changed the timing belt & water pump twice as part of scheduled maintenance. No transmission problems (problems w/ 4cyl)! The car still drives good. I just purchased a 2000 Lexus GS w/ 124k miles on it and I'm looking forward to getting 400,000 miles out of that. The Mazda will be used as a spare car until it can't run anymore. The parts are a bit expensive though.

The ride is pretty good for this car with the amount of mileage that it has. I think this year(1999) was the last of the real Japanese build.

Engine pick-up! Improve the engine sensor, so the check engine light doesn't go on and off. I fixed it twice and it's still on!

Mazda 626 1999
By Bullfrogjw

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

Transmission went out at 155k, significant exhaust problems. Car was pretty reliable always started. o2 sensor needed to be changed once a year.

More than what I bargained for
By impressed

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

We bought this demo car in 2000. I liked the leather seats and deserts colors.It has a very roomy back seat. Lots of head room. We were concerned after the purchase that the transmission seemed to snap. After several visits to the dealer we ended up having the motor mounts replined, which was under warranty. The radio quit working under warranty. The anntena has failed not under warranty and we have replaced a visor. Other than that the car just keeps going now at 138,000 miles. We replaced the brakes, tune ups, the timing belt at the right mileage, recently a new battery. The car feels solid and strong. Can't believe it didn't fall apart after warranty. I'll drive it until it dies.

Leather, roominess, swing fan. A comfortable and dependable car. Gas mileage

Lacks power for the size

165,000 miles and still running
By Rita

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

My 1999 626, manual transmission (we bought it new) has 165,000 miles on it. It is now a "college car" for my son. The engine went out a few weeks ago and we opted to put a used one in (100,000 miles on this one). $1,800.00 later and the car is running great. We could not find a used car for the price of repairing this one. The body and interior on this car still looks great. Only problems..antenna won't go down, one power window doesn't work (back seat) other than that this car has been almost repair free. I hope we can get another few years on the new engine.....

fun car to drive, overall very reliable

I love it
By darrellkirby888

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I love my 1999 Mazda 626! I drove it home 100 miles the first night I owned it and fell in love with it! I purchased it to replace my 1992 Accord that bit the dust. My friends love the swinging air vents. The car runs great and looks decent for Mazda styling. I never expected to be so satisfied with it!

Swing Air vents, clean and easy to use interior, and the ease to drive. Very quiet on the road.

Stronger engine, more options for LX, and cup holders in the back.