Used 1997 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Surprisingly good
By karentay

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 119,000 miles as a first car and have had it for four years. I am surprised to say that this car has treated me very well. Before I bought the 626, I heard that the transmission can be quite a problem, but luckily I've had no major breakdowns. The only things I've really had to fix were due to the age of the car. At 12 years, this car is still going strong for me.

2nd used Mazda-still happy
By Nebraska

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought them ('95 & '97) as School Cars, although Dad drives 'em too! Fun, Zippy, fuel efficient cars! $1,000 paid for 97. LX 4 cyl 5 speed, 180,000 miles--needs some TLC /body work, tires, brakes--but solid, no rust, and runs great. 1995 Mazda still going strong and at College with Oldest Son. This one (1997) has a Sunroof, all the trims, and runs really well. Simple design. Don't know why Mazda doesn't bring this model back--simple, inexpensive, frugal car. They'd sell more than they did in the 90's. Good road car--despite small stature--here in the Mid-west.

Sunroof. 35 mpg on Hi-way. Zippy. Fun 5 speed.

Bring back the 626. Add 15 horsepower to the I-4 (ie. 140 bhp) , skip the auto transmission (and all the problems with Q.C.) and Sell it for $13,000 (new)--Mazda would sell lots!

Good until 100K, then Boom
By coldstorage5

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Hi, I bought this car with 30K, Did routine maintenance, can ran well until tranny blew at 103K.. What a nightmare. Learned that it is a ford tranny, poor fit. It has not never been the same. Brought it back numerous times, they cant figure it out.

ehh

Get real trannys

Wow .... 225,000 miles
By KLong

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car has been great. I bought it used with 42,000 miles on it in 2002. Nothing major has gone wrong with the car. It is a little to small for a family car. Gas mileage isn't very good. Overall, this has been a solid car.

Reliable car

Never gonna die!
By teslan

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in the summer of 1997 and have loved it throughout the years. It now has 154,000 miles on it and has been super reliable. The exterior design and style of the car have held up. When I wash it and clean it up, it looks as good as anything on the road. Doesn't have a lot of power but gets great gas mileage. Following the speed limit I average 33 to 35 mpg. The interior is roomy, good quality and very comfortable. Too bad most people ignore the Mazda brand. We've had two Proteges and they too were terrific cars. I don't think this car's ever going to die. I'll hold onto it until it gives up the ghost!

Comfortable seats, five speed manual transmission, compact size for a midsized car and great styling.

Very underpowered power windows, have never worked very well.Strange locking system, not very convenient.