Used 2014 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Red Rocket - Mazda6 in Soul Red
By mdutler

2014 Mazda 6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Have owned the car for 4+ years. Car has 58K miles. Needed the brakes replaced and injectors cleaned at 38K miles. Otherwise the car has been great. Car runs synthetic oil which I believe help with the gas mileage and overall engine life. Car really handles and performs well. Tires replaced at 40K miles. I put a slightly firmer tire that will last a bit longer. Love the car but need something a bit larger for longer trips to the northeast.

Awesome Mazda6 GT
By Dave

2014 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I owned the Mazda 6 Grand Touring sedan for 5 great years. The car had zero problems except a couple minor recalls. Only went to dealer for routine maintenance. Although a bit noisy on the road, the 2.5 skyactiv drivetrain worked great. Averaged low 40s for gas mileage on highway. Leather interior was of high quality. Car handled well. Only issue was replacing the 19 inch tires which were a little expensive. Would recommend to anyone looking for a bulletproof sedan that is fun to drive.

my mazda 6
By Bobby Taylor

2014 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

An excellent car....somewhat excessive road noise....brake rotors turned at approx. 30k miles.....dealer replaced front rotors @ 35k.. ..voice activation radio,navigation system was worthless....could NEVER understand my request....this was by far the weakest component of an otherwise very good vehicle.

Comprehensive Comparison - Mazda6 Won the Game
By B.J.

2014 Mazda 6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

In February of 2014 when my husband and I were searching for a new vehicle to replace our 2y/o Nissan Rogue that was a maintenance nightmare before the warranty ran out, we decided that we were going to get a 4dr sedan. There were three vehicles in contention: Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, and the Mazda6. We talked about what we wanted in a vehicle and crunched the numbers - yes, actual on paper numbers... ratios. This determined the comparison order for us. 1. Mazda, 2. Ford, 3. Honda (we already own an Accord coupe and knew it was a strong contender). So, we went to each local dealership to do the test drive of each vehicle's model packages from the most basic to fully loaded including both transmissions - manual and automatic. Since I was the most experienced driver and knowledgeable when it comes to cars including home garage vehicle maintenance, diagnostics, and repairs, my husband and I agreed that I would do the test drives. First, the Mazda: I was very impressed with the iTouring and Grand Touring from the first impression. I got in the driver's seat of the iTouring Manual with my husband in the passenger seat and the salesman in the back seat and carefully drove us to an empty 1/4 mile road and came to a complete stop. I got to 60mph in 2nd gear without redlining all the while terrifying the salesman and entertaining my husband. Then, I took a few corners at 30mph accelerating out of the curve which the car handled quite easily. Next came the Grand Touring which only came in an automatic. I liked the creature comforts like the impressive Bose sound system. However, the automatic was sluggish and disappointing. So, the iTouring was the clear winner. Onto the Ford Fusion... this was a very short test drive. I test drove each model and was disappointed with each one. There was so much road noise, steering wheel feedback, and crappy braking. I was a bit surprised with the result considering the ratios that we had on the Fusion suggested that it would be a great performer. Nope. Onto the Honda Accord... we started out with the mid-range package that was comparable to the iTouring Mazda6. The Accord was a great performer but didn't handle cornering quite as well as the Mazda. I even tried the fully loaded V6 which had a lot of power but was actually turned off by all of in cab technology. I couldn't help but harken back to when I was 7 y/o handing tools to my father as he was switching out a water pump, "Always go for the simple design. It's the least likely to fail." As a mechanical engineer, he knew what he was talking about. So, the iTouring Mazda6 won because it did what I wanted when I wanted it and didn't distract me and had just enough creature comforts to make me happy. Fast forward to now... it's 2018, and the Mazda6 handles just as perfectly as it did from day one of ownership. The only issue we have run into was the Bluetooth system failed and had to be replaced under warranty in 2016. I'll be taking it in for it's first brake job soon. Houston driving conditions can be brutal on a car; however, we've been impressed with how well our Mazda6 has held up. We'll be replacing our Honda Accord Coupe next year. My husband wants to get the Mazda3 automatic with the 2.5 engine that's in the Mazda6. He commutes. The tight clutch can be exhausting in stop-and-go traffic.

FUN and Value
By Jeffrey M

2014 Mazda 6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Fun to drive. Not fast but holds corners and steers like an old RX7. Great looking. Makes Camry and Accord look boring. 38 mpg hwy and 27 in town. Comfortable seats. Plenty of trunk room. Reliable and Fun.