Used 2005 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 210 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

my first car
By Miguel Martinez

2005 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car generates alot of road at high speeds. The ride is smooth and shifts like butter and that's coming from a 12 year old car. The back seats are decent with a enough room to get a car seat back there. The digital information display is go's and out as it's common with this year as well as a headliner i wished held up better. This is definitely a great car to take around corners if you need to. Beware of any sign of rust near the rear wheel wells which is very common, i was lucky enough with living in michigan(saltly winter roads) i found one without any.

The cats got my tounge...
By Matt

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car used from a dealership in Dawsonville, GA. Tried to research as much as I could and found some issues with the 6's, but over all not too bad. Boy was I wrong... I guess I gauged too much off of the '07 Mazda 3 that my wife and I bought our daughter for graduating high school. We bought it in 2012 and have had no issues with it. I guess it's because it has the 2.3L 4 cylinder engine in it.. Well, back to my 6. It came with a new engine that was supposed to have a 3yr/36,000 warranty on it. Around May, the car started throwing codes and found out that the "Bank 2 was beyond threshold". My rear pre-catalytic converter was going bad. OK. I find out that the car has 4 catalytic converters on it. 2 pre-cats that hang directly off the manifolds and 2 past the Y-pipe. The cost to replace just one was going to be over $1000. I find out on a Mazda 6 forum, that the pre-cats cause premature engine failure. A bad design by Mazda. The material inside the pre-cats disintegrates and gets sucked back up into the engine by the EGR and scars the cylinder walls and blows the seals. Since my engine had been installed in October 2015, I figured I could get the issue fixed before anything happened. The best fix was to replace the manifold/pre-cat exhaust with an MSDS header set which deleted all of the problem areas. They were a bit of a headache, but I installed them with a friend in 2 days and the car seems to run ok. One month later, I start getting sluggish takeoffs and white smoke from the exhaust. Take it to a shop and I get told that I need a new engine. I talk to the company that the engine was purchased through and they have me call the company that had rebuilt it. Talking with the rep, I come to find out that this was the 2nd rebuilt engine that had been put in the car. The first was in August and it had the same symptoms. The rep asked it the cats had been replaced before I bought it and I said no and that I just replaced the whole exhaust in May. That they looked like the same ones that were originally installed on the car. I was told that they wouldn't be able to honor the warranty because the previous owner (the dealership) said that they had been changed before. When they got the previous rebuilt engine returned, they did an inspection and found glazing and scarring on the cylinders and cylinder walls consistent with debris from the pre-cats. They said they had pictures to show the damage, which they sent me so that I could open a BBB case against the dealership because they new the results days before selling the car to me. I wound up buying a new rebuilt engine for $2400 and the labor charge was $1000 and the car, which I have dubbed "Killer", is on engine number 4... Pray for me...

205K Original owner
By oomzoom

2005 Mazda 6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Running strong 11 years later original motor & transimission. Regular oil changes, transmission fluid very 30K to 40K, brakes tires, a couple of coil packs, plugs at 170K. It need shocks & springs, & a new head liner but I plan to keep. Hoods chips are rusting. Just had a plastic tee fitting on the coolant line under the air inlet hose crack and leak all the coolant out on highway. Daughter continued to drive until the engine stopped. Replaced tee, refilled coolant, changed oil and runs fine. One tough engine or I got lucky.

Great car, other than a rust spot
By Nick Jordan

2005 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 2005 mazda6 s for 10 years (106k miles), bought it used as a 1 year old for $17.6k. I love the car, but it has a real problem for longevity in MI. The car will rust on the rear wheel well lip, typically in the passenger's side. This is not just bad luck with my car, its a defect across most of these cars. If you see a 2003-2005 in the midwest, odds are it will have rust in this exact spot. There are about 6 of these cars in the parking lot where I work, and all but 1 of them have this issue. Aside from that though, this car has been very solid mechanically, with almost no issues outside of routine maintenance. It's fun to drive, I get 19-25 MPG depending on weather (and I'm a somewhat aggressive driver), and I think the interior is laid out well and comfortable. Its a real shame that the body isn't going to hold up long enough to match the drivetrain. Also, it handles terribly in the snow with stock tires, but does quite well with snow tires on.

Great handling but be careful over 150k!
By Heather p

2005 Mazda 6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2005 Mazda 6 for two years and she is an amazing ride, with a great heart (engine) and excellent get up and go. Unfortunately once I hit 160k regular maintanence didn't cut it. $2200 Later: struts, control arm, tires, headlights, tailights, stereo lights are burnt out and the shifter lights are dead. I love this car but the older she gets the more she costs.