Used 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 250 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews

s 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (250 reviews )

200,000 miles of absolute hate
By Aw

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 100,000 miles on it. It was decent at the time. I hate it. It makes weird noises, the a/c is terrible even with all new equipment. The design of the front bumper is [non-permissible content removed] with the mounting being built into the bumper with plastic so when they break, you have to replace the bumper. The A/C compressor makes noise that make it seem like its going to die. The intake manifold ticks, the SRS system is so poorly designed you can cause your air bag warning light to come on just by adjusting the drivers seat. The A/C controlls are so crappy that sometimes I have to slap the hell out of the panel to get the a/c to click on. The brake system works atleast. The seats are not comfortable on long trips leaving the lumbar support as a non helpful adjustment.

Wish I still had it!
By Antoinette

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Mazda in 2014 with 110k miles. She was a one owner car before me and they took very good care of her. I'm sad to say I totaled her at 140k miles. She never broke down on me. I did treat her well and got routine maintenance done. The worst thing about her was the road noise and she was a little bit of a bumpy ride. When the air bag went off it exploded and filled my car with smoke. I hit a car in front of me on highway 405 going about 35 miles per hour. If i had the choice having her back I would.

201,895 original miles!
By Erika

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the '04 2.3 hatchbck manual brand new. Hwy driving t wrk 100 miles a day 4 the past 11yrs. Yes the ck engine lite does come on alot but that is its job t alert you-usually small fixes. Tires are expensive t replace & the pax headlight. Only major work was recently ignition coils replacement wear & tear.t

No regrets!
By gwen

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 2004 in 2006 while still under warranty, and 9 years and 138000 miles later am only now thinking of upgrading. Longest I've ever driven one particular vehicle. The most cost comes with replacing the low profile tires so frequently but otherwise has been essentially maintenance free with giving it regular oil changes and routine checkups. I absolutely love this solid little car. I even discovered I could camp in it. As I age I need slightly better front seats for comfort and therefore am also looking to upgrade to maybe a Mazda CX-5. I love hatchbacks, I don't like SUVs, vans and sedans and this car is perfect.

Bet Car Purchase Ever
By pagzzz

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in 2004 and approaching 90k miles. Every mile has been enjoyable. Thought about getting a newer car with better performance and luxury, but decided that this car so perfectly meets my needs, I'm going to drive it into the ground.

No major problems (aside from nasty pothole related suspension stuff) and has maintained high 20's combined mileage while remaining fun to drive. Won't win a drag race, but can slalom with many "performance" cars.

Definitely recommend upgrading stock rubber to slightly wider, stickier set. On my third set of BFG's 215/45R17 rubber. Great tires for this car.

Strong engine, excellent suspension, subtley dynamic styling (don't like the smiley face 2010+), huge cargo carrying capability, comfortable interior (I'm 6'2" and there is a ton of room for me)

Tad more power, better rear seat comfort