Used 1997 Lincoln Town Car Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Town Car model:

My tank
By Caleb

1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in desperation as my previous car had left me all but broke.It had been sitting for over a year,and I wasn't sure about Ford products,but it fit into my tiny budget.I put a new battery in and it fired right up; I got the fuel system cleaned and the ball joints greased,my mechanic said that's all it needed.I figured I'd keep it for a few months until it wore out so I could get a better car.That was over three years ago,and it's still going strong.Have invested maybe $550 in it(including new tires),and considering how long it sat,that's nothing.Haven't had to do any repairs besides when I first got it,and that wasn't its fault.The air suspension has had a slow leak since I got it,but as long as you can live with the suspension light on it won't cause a problem.Have been meaning to convert it,just haven't got around to it yet.I absolutely love my car and would definitely buy another.Smooth,quiet,and comfortable,very safe(if you have to go through a seedy area no one bothers you).At 190,000 miles,I get an average 18.7 mpg according to the computer,which is what it says it got when new.I would recommend it to anyone looking for a reliable older car.

Grandmothers ride
By Mark elvers

1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature 4dr Sedan

Used by an elderly couple, garaged, runs good and huge trunk.

Luv my Beastie !!!
By Ginger Patterson

1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive 4dr Sedan

This car was given to me by my mother who had gotten it from a friend of the family. She gave it to me for my birthday. I've had to do very little repairs to it. He has driven strong for me. I definitely drive my vehicle hard. They have to be able to keep up with me. Even though this car is a luxury cruise car, he is my Beastie. He drives so strong & sounds so smooth. He gets very good gas mileage. He gets about 17-18 miles in town & I'd say about 25-28 miles on the highway. This car has now got over 300,000 miles on him right now & still going strong. Purzzzz like a kitten drives like a Beast. Very reliable car. The one thing that I would say about the car is that there is too much play in the steering wheel. But that could've have been something to do with the previous owner.

Got me a Car and she's as big as a Whale!
By Doug Strand

1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive 4dr Sedan

Bought this to replace my totaled out PT Cruiser. What a difference! I had wanted one of these for about the last 12 years. I consider it the luxury version of the tried-and true Crown Vic cop car or taxi. Happened to drive by a light blue one a guy was just putting a For Sale sign on, it had been garaged its whole life, serviced by a local dealer, and had only 97K miles. The body, paint, and overall condition is excellent. Got it for around 3K. When I first got it, it needed the window washer sensor replaced, which I easily did myself, and the part was only $16. Also, it needed the steering idler arm and pitman arm replaced, which cost $280 at a mechanic. I also replaced the shocks, plug wires, and plugs, and changed oil and filter to Mobile 1 Extended Performance, just to get a fresh baseline. I also changed the fuel filter and air filter with K & N parts. It ran fine when I bought it, but runs even smoother now. This fall, I converted the exhaust to dual exhaust with an H-pipe and eliminated the resonators. Now, I can hear the engine and she has even more get-up-and-go. I have been getting around 19 mpg here in town, and about 23 on the highway if I keep it around 70 mph. I tried running at 55-60 and it was getting 25 mpg, but it is hard for me to drive that slow on the interstate, our speed limit is 80. It has plenty of power and holds speed on our Montana grades. It handled a brief spurt to 106 mph easily, and it did not govern out at that speed. Just put 4 new snow tires on it (Dec '16) and it gets around fine on ice and snow with the factory posi-traction rear end. My boys love the room in the back seat, their own reading lights, and even the ash trays! This car rides smoother, has much more interior room, and quicker acceleration than the PT cruiser, and gets close to the same gas mileage, with 8 cylinders instead of 4! Discovered when driving it last night that it even has little "headlights" that light up the road to the sides of your car when you put the blinkers on! Yes, I have received friendly comments that it looks like an elderly person's car, that is fine with me, I am 53 and may still be driving this when I am 83! This is a well-made American Classic, with good performance, modern electronics, efficiency, and STYLE. This car was about $38,000 new, and I feel like I can enjoy it for at least another 100K miles, riding in comfort, safety and style at a small fraction of the new cost. If this is what you are looking for and can find one that has been well cared for, then I say go for it. Replacement parts are readily available and affordable. Update, 6/14/18 - This great car was totaled out by a guy in a truck that pulled out in front of us on an icy road. Struck his right front wheel at 30 mph. We were all buckled in and did not get a scratch, but the car was totaled. I replaced it with a 2000 Signature Touring Edition, which has all the features of the '97 with a more rounded shape (some like it, some don't). I miss the blue '97 but am sticking with the Town Car!

Love This Beast!!!!
By luvmylincoln

1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $2100 eight months ago. It had 219,000 miles on it when I bought it. I currently have 230,000 miles on it and I haven't had ONE problem with this vehicle. I love the fact that this car is huge, as it fits my family of 4 perfectly. The trunk is gigantic. I have a picture of my 21 year old sister and my two daughters sitting comfortably in my trunk tail-gating. Lol. This car handles phenomenally, and drives so smooth. I have owned brand new vehicles before, and none have compared to my Towncar. It will be a sad day for me when I have to get rid of it.

Smooth ride, decent gas mileage, mechanically sound, digital speedometer, etc.

The radio could be a bit better. Sometimes there is an echo on certain radio stations.