Used 1996 Lincoln Town Car Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Town Car for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

1996 Lincoln Town Car Cartier

Scott, 10/19/2010

My grandparents bought this car brand new as soon as it showed up at the dealer. I think the original list price was $47,000. My grandpa has since died, and in 2005, my grandma didn't feel safe driving anymore at the age of 88. She loved that car and wanted to keep it in the family, so she gave it to me, knowing I'd take the absolute best care of it. It had 31000 miles when she gave it to me. This is the most luxurious car Ford ever built. Has been very reliable, but when things have to be replaced, it's very costly for parts. It now has 102,000 miles and still drives like a dream. I never cared for the newer body style that started in '98 or '99. I'm very grateful to own such a classic car.

Just keep rollin'

kriegar, 03/28/2011

This is my 4th or 5th Town Car, and my second one in this body style/engine configuration. These are solid, dependable, and well appointed vehicles. What little gas money you might save in a lesser car is more than well compensated by the lower long term ownership and insurance costs. They have everything, and they don't break a lot...and no payments! This car provides a comfortable and quiet ride, (reasonable) power(it's NOT an LT1), and reasonable gas mileage. The pollution control system is not so invasive that you cannot touch the car without having it become a problem, and the traditional styling and build are a plus for maintenance and/or modification.

Best value ever

marh42, 09/20/2011

I bought this car Feb 1st for $450.00. One service and a window regulator is the ONLY money I have spent. Has 234,000 miles, acts like most 50,000 mile cars I have been in.

1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature

sig96tc, 01/23/2011

Purchased in 03 with 52K, now has 265,000 miles. Engine has never had the valve covers removed. I have no plans of getting rid of her. These cars are cheap to maintain with plenty of original parts on ebay etc.. Obviously I have taken care of it.

1996 75th Anniversary

Jean Desrosiers, 02/05/2016
Signature 4dr Sedan

This automobile is a true classic. The exterior is in very good shape, the color silver is classic. The interior is luxurious leather and silver. All this is because it is the 75th silver anniversary edition. It has low mileage. It has very little to no wear. It has all the options available includes the cell phone.

From an Escort to a Lincoln

G. Gill, 02/05/2009

I drove a Ford Escort for 13yrs. to an from work, 60 miles a day. Loved the fuel economy, but not the ride or getting around in the snow. After 350,000 miles I found a 1996 Lincoln TC, with 102,000 miles on it for $4,000.00. WOW!...now I love driving to work! What a ride, with 21mpg! Built like a tank! Some mechanical issues...intake manifold[ Ford service bulletin]...lower contol arm/ball joint assembly broke in the middle of a J.C.Penney pkng. lot..that was fun! Wife has 1998 Lincoln TC, first year of the new body style and it ain't built no where near as good as my 1996.Smaller interior, very high maintenance and ugly! Find an 1990's Lincoln in good shape you won't be sorry!

Presidential Series

P. Hruz, 04/27/2009

My car was priced around $53,000 when it was new in 1996; I bought it used with 20,500 miles on it. I paid $28,000 with financing for 4 years. I absolutely love my car!!! When I saw it on the lot, and then looked in side, it was love at first sight. I've never regretted buying it. My Lincoln has 122,000 miles on it and I had planned to get another 200,000 more before buying a new one. Yesterday, my husband was backing it up to put it in the garage and backed into a tree. Although it dented the side a little, and scratched it A LOT, I would rather get it repaired than to go buy a new one. Needless to say, I don't feel I can ever replace it. Once you've driven a Linc. Town Car, no compareisons

Supremely refined, but boring to drive.

Ethan Hawksley, 01/06/2003

It's comfortable, quiet, and very refined, but it also has some aggravating flaws. My biggest gripe is that the OHC 4.6 engine's torque output is barely adequate. As a result, the car is devoid of any spirit whatsoever and downright BORING to drive. Second, I've had a tie rod end and upper ball joint both fail within the last two months because Ford used "sealed for death" parts in the steering linkage. Lastly, the rear end feels light at high speeds, like it's going to break loose any second. I don't horse my Lincoln around like it's a Corvette, but a luxury car SHOULD handle in a reasonably controlled manner when pressed a little harder than normal.

96 Cartier Town Car is the ****!

Mike Kahl, 06/07/2005

This car IS the MOST comfortable automobile on the road...it Rules!! Even my brother couldn't believe how comfy it was. The air suspention is king too, thats what gives this car the ride, when u have to replace the air suspention, DO NOT go to springs, pay the money for the air bags!!!! My car now has 213,000 miles on it and still goes everyday! If ur concidering buying one of these cars, just do it, you won't be sorry. I have converted 2 friends to the Town Car so far!!! Once you have one, you never go back to anything else

My Most Comfortable Car

Lisa, 06/09/2007

Bought the car with only 24K on it. Didn't need front brakes until 85K, rear brakes at 130K (lots of highway miles in my business). This was the best designed car for comfort and ease of driving that I have ever owned. Everything can be adjusted to wherever you want it for all circumstances by whomever was driving. Being a somewhat small woman, I particularly appreciated being able to position the driver's seat so I had ultimate visibility yet all operational controls were still readily at hand, even the cup holders and ashtray. Other than routine maintenance, repairs weren't needed until 135K. Last 15K saw rear air springs and compressor, fuel filter, external brake lines,etc. Great car!

King of Comfort

Binger, 04/02/2002

Call me a dinosaur but I love this car! My dad always drove them and I wanted one since I was 24 years old. I am tall (6'5") and just feel more comfortable in a big car. It has ample exceleration and gets 24mph on the highway. At 70 K the only problem has been the horn going out. No other problems.

Plastic parts! Crap car!

Jim Cook, 10/06/2018
Signature 4dr Sedan

I'm so sick an tiered of the plastic parts, in cars! This car is junk, I truly regret buying this over priced, peace of garbage, of a car. Never buy a Lincoln,ever!

k gant's lincoln

K GANT, 08/06/2002

This vehicle is very comfortable to ride in - it is smooth on the road. The gas mileage has been very reasonable. I enjoy the huge trunk space. The leather seats are very enjoyable in extreme temperatures of weather. I have kept the oils changed at the suggested time that I have owned the car. Good tires on the car and the suspension was just recently repaired.

Nothing better than a Lincoln

pureghol, 07/07/2008

I did not like this body design until I drove one. I have owned a 81 and 88 T/C's and it has been a real surprise to me that it is now extinct. My car performs exceedingly well and the controls are easy to reach. The ride is surprisingly smooth. Two of my relatives after riding in it went out and got their own. I would buy another one in a heartbeat! Mine has the dual exhaust and the extra power is really felt when I lean on it.

Feel like a rich guy

Don from Houston, 04/20/2009

I purchased my Cartier with 143000 miles on it. It has been a pleasure to drive. It literally floats down the road. The comfortable leather seating and striking dashboard design make you feel special behind the wheel. I now have 165000 miles on the car and have had nothing but routine maintenance so far. I am amazed at the quality and comfort of this car. I paid $4250.00 for this car. My 2006 Scion XB cost $17000.00 and sits in the carport most of the time because I enjoy driving the Lincoln so much. The gas mileage on the Cartier is an honest 20 mpg city and about 25 mpg highway on regular gas. I truly love driving this car and plan to keep it repaired and on the road for many years.

Great Car But...

Jeff Bazell, 05/27/2002

Like other reviews, incredible drive, better handling over previous years. Two expensive problems so far; load leveler compressor kaput, cost $500 to replace. Ford products have history of light bulbs blowing out alot. PRNDL light went out at 16K miles. Lots of other people complain of same problems. Prefer my fun car, 1998 Honda Prelude Type SH. Town Car good gas mileage.

I'll buy another one!

Silver Streak, 07/01/2009

I have 190,000.miles on my TC. It doesn't use oil and has the original automatic tranny. I drive hard sometimes and the car has held up very well. I have changed the automatic transmission fluild and tranny filter at a real mechanics shop not an oil change joint, 4 times and I think thats why my tranny is holding up. This is the last of the full size American Luxury cars. Keep the suspension air bags dont put in springs. Change the oil every 3-4000 miles. Great car I'd buy one again. Do the maintenence and it will last forever!

I Miss My Town Car

Rod Minnesota, 10/16/2009

I recently traded my 1996 Signature as part of the cash for clunkers program. It was an outstanding car during my six years of ownership and I expect it would have lasted another 204,000 miles. Purchased used for $6,500, received $3,200 from another driver's insurance when they hit the car and received $4,500 in cash for clunkers program. I don't expect another car will have as low of cost of ownership and offer me the utility of this large car.

Steering Box

Dave J, 05/19/2010

Just purchased, had front end ball joints replaced and car still feels like it does not have power steering. Mechanic thinks it is in the steering box. Can this be adjusted or must it be replaced? Mechanic quotes the price to start at $500. Appreciate any input. Thanks Dave

Best Deal on Wheels

Silver Streak, 07/31/2010

I bought this car with 78,000 miles in 2003. Now in 2010 I have 212,000 miles. The car will get good gas mileage with ac off and at 65 mph with Cruise control. Car has never let me down. Never been stuck with this car. Build quality is excellent. No noises after 212k miles. Jumbo trunk. I drive hard and the transmission is original. Changed transmission fluid 3 times or more. Engine uses a quart of oil in 3000 miles so then its ready for a change or a quart and a change in 6000. Best looking Lincolns a 94-97. Get a signature or Cartier or diamond anniversary edition.

Great Car, Terrible Once Things Go Wrong

poserscenemokid, 10/27/2010

My first car, I bought my car for 3k with 168k miles on it. Ran fine for a week. Then things started to go, catalytic converters, the ac/heat (combined total of ~1200). The stereo went, and an aftermarket double din will not fit. All new rotors and pads; other than that, the car has been great, highway drive is amazing, my friends are jealous (they love driving it as well), sound system is great, heat is hot and the air is cold. I would buy another one, probably a Cartier with fewer miles. I did look at an 05 town car and it was nothing like the 96. Personal opinion, best year for the car.

Little old lady's car

R. Glenn, 02/03/2008

Bought this from a retired lady (son's mother-in-law), had low mileage. Ran great, rode great, until air suspension went on fritz, now bottoms and rides rough; speed control quit; sensors say w/w fluid always low, even when full; plastic intake manifold split (now find this is very common!), dumping coolant, required tow to repair shop.

LINCOLN TOWN CAR

MDEHART, 08/17/2002

THE ONLY BETTER CAR I HAVE OWNED IS A LEXUS LS400

Competent. Reliable. Luxurious.

JMARKV, 08/31/2002

I found the car competent and powerful. Gas milage was exceptional (18-24 mpg). Despite it's size, the TC was very agile and composed even when pressed to the limits. Loved the car's looks.

inherited

flamermuskego, 12/29/2002

smoothest ride ever. feel like I could live in this car if necessary. have a difficult decision to make re keeping this car or putting it up for sale. I'd love to keep it for the weekends only. I feel special when driving it.

sydney

lenz, 02/08/2003

Has been very reliable. Had to replacemanifold, air suspension boots in rear,one ball joint, wiring to wndshield wipers,

The '96 Towncar

mac-shack, 09/04/2003

I purchased this vehicle used. It had 62K miles on it in March of 2003. The interior was immaculate. It gets excellent mileage,22-23 MPG on trips, 18 around town. It has excellent acceleration, it surprises most people that it can get off the line so fast. I also have a '94 model. They are both great road cars. Very comfy. I would buy another one. Small patch where clearcoat deteriorated, was easy fix. Had to replace pitman, had not been lubed ever!!!

Great Luxury Car and Nice Performance

DG, 05/01/2005

The Cartier is an exceptional value as a used car. The 4.6L engine has plenty of power and the car was bought in mint condition. The layout of the dash is exceptionally well done, there is plenty of passenger room, it handles nicely, has plenty of reserve power, lots of trunk space, seems very well made, has a distinctive look, and looks great on the road. I sold my restored Mercedes 380SL as I really wanted and needed a larger car. Nothing about the Cartier has disappointed me. All of my research shows it to be a reliable car. I do all of my own work on cars, so it is important to me that spare parts, reasonably priced, be available and that seems to be no problem. I love this car!

You Could Spend More on a Car- But WHY?

1956MarkII, 11/29/2003

I had 3 Grand Marquis before the Town Car, but as much as I loved the Mercurys, the Lincoln is superior. Roomier, quieter, better built- everything one could ask for in a car. Great gas mileage; 22- 23 in everyday driving, 25-26 on trips. Although the ride's a little stiffer than I expected (it has the Touring Package), the handling is just amazing for such a big car- absolutely flat and level in the corners. 70,000 miles on this car and not a squeak or rattle anywhere; doors close as solidly as a brand-new one. An exceptionally well-made car. I'd always heard that the Lincoln plant in Wixom, MI, is one of the best- now I know why.

96TC current value

Richard Welker, 12/23/2003

Have replaced theengine at 105,000 with salvage yard motor with 70,00 miles on it. Current odometer reading 145,000. very small hail damage spots.Car is in excellent condition.Load leveler bags replaced,left door window mechanism replaced, all new shocks,ties-.006 each-Michelin.Heater gate valve replaced.

condition of car

robert wulff, 02/24/2004

very good riding and handling car

My Town Car

Dakotaben, 05/10/2004

I love this car. i have always wanted one and i found a Cartier, which is the hardest one to get. i wanted a 97 but I settled for the 96. All in all it is a very good car, gets decent gas mileage when driven easily, when driven rough then you pay for it at the pump. Very good car. I have the cloth roof with chrome wheels and ivory paint. Beautiful car.

First Used Automobile

jrsmail, 08/09/2004

After purchasing four new cars and two new trucks, this is the first used car I have ever purchased. This car had a little over 77,700 miles on it when I purchased it. It now has over 107,000 miles on it. It was a one owner and I had access to the maintenance records. The car had all of it's recommended maintenance performed as recommended in the owners manual. I thought that it would be a good car and I was right. On a long trip, the car gets 26.5 miles per gallon. I think that's outstanding for such a large car. I would definitely buy this car again. I absolutely love it!

High Class

Mea, 08/02/2005

I went from driving a very Large Chevrolet conversion van to driving my Lincoln Town Car. I love how smooth it drives and how you don't hear any clinking in the engine. It's a pleasure to drive.

Nickel and dime repairs

JR, 02/19/2007

I received this car from my grandfather who was meticulous with it. Every issue was repaired immediately and the vehicle saw a good mix of driving so I thought it would be a great car. I was mistaken. Although the ride is fantastic and performance acceptable for a big car with a small V-8 the upkeep is murder. CD player died, followed by driver's window cable system, then driver's window motor, rear passenger window motor, electric seats quit, ball joints (2nd set), brake lines rotted out, no vent setting on heater and the big one was the transmission torque converter clutch failure (which I was told is common to these cars). With only 80K miles I'm seriously considering trading it off.

Lincoln Towncar Cartier 4dr

carl schoonover, 09/09/2007

Overall this has been a great car. A few things quit working after 3-4 years. The cruise control stopped working and would cost $400-$500 to fix. Also, there has been a problem with the speed sensor in the right front wheel which affects the braking, although the braking is still safe it makes a groaning noise and sometimes pulls to the right. This has been fixed a couple of times, but persists. Otherwise, the car has be superb.

Town Car

stang99x, 05/20/2003

An excellent riding car that almost drives itself.

SCRIV'S RESULTS

J SCRIVS, 05/27/2003

I love the smooth ride, and luxury provided with this car.Accelerates effortlessly while still quiet as a mouse.

Legendary land yacht

Ken in Raleigh NC, 03/28/2002

I have owned my '96 Lincoln Town Car for one year as a used vehicle and thoroughly love it. It carries 5 (6 if needed) in total comfort, drives with ease and kick's butt when needed. The only way to travel!

51050