Used 2003 Lincoln Aviator Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Lincoln Aviator

View reviews for a specific Aviator model:

5 years and still loving it
By Cory

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Probably one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I have driven this '03 for five years now with no serious problems. Has plenty of horsepower and has handled well in all weather conditions. A few small maintenance issues such as a faulty door or lift gate sensor that has the vehicle thinking a door is open (dome light stays on) and a reverse sensor is out. I've owned foreign vehicles that have had less maintenance visits to the dealership but none of them have matched the comfort, styling and overall driving experience. Would like to see better gas mileage but what do you expect for an AWD SUV?

My favorite features would have to be the stereo, climate controlled seats and overall appearance (both interior and exterior). The vehicle still looks as classy as the day I purchased it!

Third row seat when folded down is not perfectly flat. When folded down, the angle is such that groceries or other items in the cargo area will tend to roll out the back when the gate is lifted.

Great SUV: they should still make them
By Steve B

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The is an excellent riding & handling vehicle that Lincoln should still be manufacturing. I bought it new and have had a few mechanical problems I wouldn't have expected, like replacing the transmission after 100k miles! Overall, a great SUV.

The interior design is terrific and still better looking than most new cars today.

Better transmission.

Aviator Owner's Review
By Tim

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. Its reliability is outstanding. Its power and handling is on par with the BMW-X5, and its quieter. I now have 82,000 miles on the vehicle and it runs as well as it did when I bought it. The best way to describe it is it's still tight. No rattles. No loose parts. No electrical gremlins. At 60,000 miles I used the Aviator to tow a small car from southern Calif. to Las Vegas. I was pulling approximately 3,600lb and it didn't break a sweat. I even averaged 17 mpg. I disagree with the comment about lacking refinement compared to European SUVs. The Aviator set a new standard for affordable luxury. I paid $10K less than a similarly equipped BMW!

Excellent power. Quiet ride at highway speeds. Strong a/c / heating system. It cools or heats the truck quickly. Great sound system. The backup warning beeper is a can't-do-without feature. Every vehicle should have one. Visibility is also great. Good idea - storage compartments in the elbow rests.

More leg room in second row can be accommodated by scaling-down the backrest on the front seats.

A few questions, but love it....
By dot

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I got this after having a Blazer and I love it to death... It is gorgeous. It had a lot of miles when I bought it and has never been back for service. I have had some problems w/ the car saying that door is ajar and then the light stays on. Causing the battery to go dead Also the hub caps are peeling apart. Can't find replacements anywhere.

I love the 3rd seat. I have 3 kids so that is great. I love the dual temperature controls, leather seats

Gas of course, auto locks. Cause of my problem, they won't lock if the car thinks the doors are open. So I wish that was manual.

Excellant All Around Vehicle
By Great Vehicle

2003 Lincoln Aviator Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Go anywhere SUV, Go several times a year on out of state trips. The Aviator is the ultimate in comfort! Hit that seat warmer after a long day and ahhh! Our Aviator has 42K on it and has only needed the regular maint performed on it. I did replace the tires to one size up and that helped on the milage-AVG 19 mph allaround and up to 21 on the road. I also had the computer upgraded thru the dealer on a new program that has made it perform even better. No gripes here glad we have it as our all around veh and well worth the price!

Comfort, DVD keeps kids quiet on trips, that third row seat comes in handy for days when I take the office to lunch. Nice looking and after all the bells and whistles on this baby, it makes the Explorer look like a rowboat!

Gosh I realize I dont have any! It fires up everytime and they did think the design thru-Put the mountaineer and explorer, the relatives-on list B!