Used 2002 Lexus SC 430 Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Lexus SC 430

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (101 reviews )

Purchased with 85,000 miles.
By Used 85,000 miles sc

2002 Lexus SC 430 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased this car because I was looking for reliability in a pseudo sports car. I am 50+ and I wanted to gracefully move through midlife crisis in a sporty car. I have owned three Porsches for over 25 years, and then a Mercedes. Since 02 I've owned an Acura TLS. Reliability was one of the major considerations to purchase this car. It's too soon to tell, but for now this Lexus still runs like new.

The convertible is sweet and the stereo is good. Engine and tranny are smooth. So far, the car is reliable, but when it breaks expect to pay high repair costs. Interior is classy and I like the exterior as it's lower windshield and profile reminds me of a Porsche Speedster.

Back up camera, DVD and iPod capabilities. Possibly a more sporty and lower suspension, i.e. Tein CS coilovers and Daizen swaybars.

This car rocks
By Rob

2002 Lexus SC 430 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I have never driven a smoother vehicle. It's design and overall sleek performance make this car a dream.

Automatic droptop down in 10 to 15 seconds or so.

Offer a manual transmission.

2002 SC 430 owner review
By jayarbee

2002 Lexus SC 430 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I was attracted to this car purely by its looks and still love it for that reason. After 27,000 miles the only failure of any part has been the gas springs for the trunk. Driving is excellent and stable at high speed. Low speed driving suffers due to relatively stiff steering (no "two-finger" driving for this car). Brakes are the best I have ever experienced. For all the good things there are things my previous car (Buick Reatta) had and did that I miss. I could get more information out of my Buick computer than the Lexus' and I could drive with my elbow out the window, which is very uncomfortable in the Lexus. Rear visibility suffers in the Lexus, also.

High speed stability, the hard-top convertible.

My Reatta had visors that stayed where I placed them. The Lexus visors stay where they want to. It would take a re-styling to accomplish, but the rear visibility is terrible, what with the high body rear end and the permanent rear "seat" head restraints blocking the view.

SC 430 is a fabulous car!
By tmetty

2002 Lexus SC 430 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The SC 430 is the most exceptional and fun vehicle I have ever owned. I'm hooked for life!

The retractable hard top and the navigation system.

Don't ever allow the trunk to be opened while the roof is retracting.

so glad I bought it
By oakland_dad

2002 Lexus SC 430 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the SC 430 used from the dealer. The car runs great, is comfortable and enjoyable and never breaks down. Tires are expensive though.

Convertible top is perfect

Two inches more leg room in the front.