Looking for a luxury crossover SUV but want high fuel economy, too? The 2017 Lexus RX 450h could hit the spot. It has the same meticulous quality, comfortable ride and generous passenger space we like in the regular RX, but with a fuel-efficient hybrid powertrain.
The Lexus RX 450h was once the epitome of sensible luxury transportation. It was a reasonably sized SUV with good reliability, superior fuel economy, a comfy ride and styling inoffensive to the point of anonymity. The 2017 RX 450h, representing the second year after last year's complete redesign, isn't quite so sensible. But it may ultimately be more desirable thanks to improved driving manners, a more luxurious and carlike cabin, and radical styling that no one would ever deem anonymous.
- Impeccably crafted and attractively designed cabin
- Excellent fuel economy for a luxury crossover
- Supremely quiet
- Appealing ride and handling balance with F Sport
- Gas savings unlikely to ever pay back the price premium
- Below-average cargo capacity
- Optional tech interface is distracting to use
- Relatively slow acceleration