Used 2006 Lexus RX 400h Consumer Reviews - 236 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:

Feel Totally Let Down
By 1212say1212

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We were thrilled with this car when we first got it. A great, comfortable family car for long journeys and a greener option for the city. We knew the fuel economy wasn't going to be great but the fact that you knew you weren't going to be churning out fumes in slow moving traffic was the main winning point. (I walk a lot in town and hate going past slow moving traffic with my kids - it stinks). After a few months the car would not start. And ever since, we've had serious starting issues. New batteries didn't last and the problem persists. Internet searches show many others with the same problem. Lexus shockingly unhelpful.

Comfort, remote boot opening, rear camera.

Obviously, the technology is still new and not entirely understood. Don't risk it yet.

Loooove it!
By Liz

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Actual mileage about 23-24. Best vehicle I have ever owned. Only defect is paint, Bamboo Pearl. There seems to be something wrong with it.

Heated seats, hybrid.

Blue tooth and satellite hook-up. Fix rattle they all have in rear seat.

Third RX
By third rx

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Flawless in quality (no repair needed ever on any of three RXs I've owned over past 9 years).

The hybrid technology

Needs updated software for nav system. My own home (then 3 years old) is not findable on the nav system. Seems it shouldn't have to cost an additional $280 for new software to get to your own home after you've paid $50k for your car.

Very Satisfied
By RX400h AWD

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have a 2006 RX400h AWD with 53,000 miles on it. I do 80% of my driving in the Seattle Bellevue area and 20% on interstates (mostly between Seattle and Portland). Depending on the season, I get 22-25 mpg in combined city and highway driving and 28-31 mpg on the Interstate. I consistently get 30-31 mpg between Seattle and Portland. This is my 3rd RX and am waiting to see the 2009/10 model. I haven't had any major problems and service at the manufactures recommend intervals.

Auto rear door, planetary gear transmission, and extra MPG compared to my two other RXs.

MPG are greatly reduced on short trips because the engine has to run until the catalytic converter is warmed up. Another method of heating the converter would increase the MPG. An MP3 connection would be appreciated.

Hang on for some excitement!
By Don Panetti

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had the vehicle now for 3 years and the Goodyear Tires were the real downfall of the vehicle They were like skin at 20,000 miles. I really like the acceleration at any speed and the gas mileage is about 28 to 29 highway and anywhere from 26 to 31 in the city, depending on whether I drive on flat or hilly areas. The ride is not the best as the seats are too firm. Handling is great.

Gas mileage and acceleration were very good.

Seats that are more comfortable. Putting proper tires on the original vehicle.