Used 2006 Lexus RX 400h Consumer Reviews - 236 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RX 400h model:

Great Car
By Lev

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the nav, mileage, and performance. Highly recommend

Nav Bluetooth BU Camera

Wood nterior

2006 Lexus RX 400h
By Haz

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Let me qualify that I traded a 2002 BMW M3 in on this vehicle, so the fun to drive rating for me was relative. I find the vehicle to be everything I was looking for as I needed the utility and cargo carrying capacity however I was unwilling to burn the amount of gasoline/pollutants for the 97% of the time I would not require same. Acceleration, comfort, ride quality... the LEAST amount of compromise for a vehicle segment that offers little choice.

Nav, Levinson stereo, power liftgate, bluetooth, VERY comfortable ingress/egress, seats are reasonably supportive considering I came from an all out sports car. I am getting about 27.5 mpg in town and I have yet to take a highway only type of trip, therefore I can't comment on the highway mpg.

I would love to be able to select a battery only mode since about 70% of my commute is 30 mph stop and go traffic. I also believe a software update could be fashioned where you could select a "super economy mode" where the gasoline motor would kick in at a later point, for added economy.

Power, Grace and Beauty
By Howard

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my RX 400h. It has great power and control -- a definite luxury vehicle which just happens to be environmentally friendly. The only drawback is that the actual mileage is lower than advertised -- I am getting combined 24-25 mpg, and probably 23 mpg in very cold weather. Real driving and not on a test site produces much lower results than promoted and that was disappointing. Even so, this vehicle is pure bliss to drive and I am not noticing any significant engine noise as reported in other reviews. Drive it and enjoy.

Xenon headlights that adjust with turning -- high beams are incredible; Navigation system is great; most important -- pure comfort

advertise true mpg results

Not Up to Lexus Standards
By TJ

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Continued problems with intermediate braking and steering. The dealership and factory have said pulsating braking and difficult steering are acceptable due to nature of electric regenerative engine. Driving performance of car not up to Lexus standards. Would not recommend purchasing expensive hybrid that does not deliver performance or mileage as advertised.

Exterior design

Improve regenerative braking system to ensure the driving performance of the car is not compromised.

Love this Car
By KellyT

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was hesitant to buy any SUV; I typically am much more environmentally conservative. However, after years of not being able to get equipment and kids in vehicles, I relented. The Lexus Hybrid is a pleasure to drive. It takes curves well and handles well in high volume traffic. I feel secure behind the wheel. I have the back-up mirror which I love and I feel secure in it with my kids in car seats. I am also an executive though..and it doesn't feel just like a mommy car.

Lights that move around the curves; side pockets that open; lots of cup holders, back up mirror.

Back up sounds for getting close to obstacle.