Used 1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV

View reviews for a specific RX 300 model:

Have owned mine since it was new
By fyrcat

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I had owned my 1999 rx 300 since it was new. I currently have 78000 miles on it. No problems
until I hit 65000 miles and my transmission went out. My dealer here in the SF bay area wanted 6500.00, so I shopped around and found an independent tranny shop who did it for 3500.00.
Other than that, I love this car! I have never held on to a car for more than 6 years, but I still adore my Lexus. I just repaired the leather on the drivers side that ripped from 13 years of in and out. Otherwise both the interior and the exterior look great. I am hoping to keep her for 2 more years, and when ready to replace her, I would buy another Lexus in a heartbeat.

Luxurious interior, the paint washes and waxes beautifully.

Very Disappointed
By kristal1

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Bought the Lexus Rx 300 because of Lexus' reputation of being a reliable vehicle, sadly disappointed with our experience.

We bought this car 5 years ago with 48K miles on it and hoped to drive it over 200K miles. Unforunately at 100K miles the car had a steering column failure, the worst the dealer had ever seen. Car was unsafe to drive. Cost of repairs $1,700. Less than 12 months later at 112K miles the engine went. Expected cost to replace $5,000 for a used engine, significantly more for a new one.

Never expected this from Lexus! at 112K miles... are you kidding me. Should have read reviews before buying it.

Too bitter to think of any...

Heated leather seats aren't worth much in a car without a working engine! EPIC FAIL!

My Favorite Vehicle...Until
By bridgils

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I have loved this vehicle since the first test drive. It exceeded my expectations for years until today. This SUV is notorious for costly transmission failures - today I join this club. It would have been the perfect vehicle if the tran would have held up. The repair cost is anticipated to be the blue book on the vehicle - tough call.

Heated seats - they become your best friend in the winter, stereo, quiet and gentle ride - even with 129K miles

Toyota has known about the transmission problems and shamefully never recalled these high-end SUVs for correction. Some accounts of failure were not only costly, but life threatening.

Mobile money pit
By Foggy

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

This is a terrible car. I bought a Lexus for the reliability, but spent a fortune on repairs. Air Compressor, Transmission, would be the 2 biggies. Check the lexus owner website about the complaints on this model. I was lucky that the tranny went out at 145,000. My Compressor went out at 59k. Transfer case died at 185k.

Cd changer

Your life will improve if you do not buy this car

Lexus, NEVER AGAIN
By RX300

1999 Lexus RX 300 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

The Lexus RX300 is all about look and false reputation. I bought this 99' RX300 108K 8 months ago hopping to have a reliable vehicle at least for 50K based on Toyota/Lexus false reputation and transmission blew at 120k, then I saw on the web forums that is very common on RX300 transmissions blowing under 100K (90, 80 or 75K). Lexus RX300 is a piece of crap. Overpriced to buy, insane to fix. Next time I will definitely go with Ford or Chevy family. I will recommend it to my worst enemy.