Used 2003 Lexus LX 470 Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lexus LX 470 Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (43 reviews )

Be very careful
By Fred Mackay

2003 Lexus LX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my LX with 225,000 miles on it, felt like I got a great vehicle. It is beautiful, the perfect size, and EXTREMELY comfortable. BUT...this vehicle has a MAJOR problem that is not at all unusual. While on vacation with my fam, we were driving 40-50 mph on a curvy road, the VSC lights and chimes went crazy and the vehicle began braking hard left/right left/right, with loss of steering control. It was terrifying, but only lasted for a second or two. I began researching (clublexus.com is excellent) and discovered this is a common problem. There were hundreds of very similar reports...40-50 mph, going around sweeping curves. Just this morning it did the same thing six times in 15-20 minutes. Per the dealers recommendation I am returning the vehicle. It’s 90% awesome, but that other 10% could be catastrophic.

Good solid vehicle both on & off road
By Bill Graham

2003 Lexus LX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Towable 4-wheels down - roomy but definately not a boulevard cruiser. Body roll is a problem & the rear seats are not all that comfortable...it is basically a truck ride with a fair amount of road/wind noise at speed.

Solid, dependable, still garnishes status
By tpa33

2003 Lexus LX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I'm a technician and I know build quality.
You will not find this level of precision or quality with any other vehicle with full time 4 wheel drive and true transfer case.
Bought used only because its virtually still new and we should all expect 350,000 miles of hard or pampered use from the LX470/Land cruisers.

Safety, side curtain airbags, ride height control, Low/High transfer case, locking center differential, seats 8, road presence, visibility, comfort, and all around legendary vehicle platform and build quality. And if anything ever does fail, parts are 1/3 the cost of European counterparts.

These should cost a lot more than they do. Try driving in a comparably priced Wrangler or fixing a X5 or Land Rover or hitting the trail in a Audi Q7 those need improvements.

Excellent
By Tom

2003 Lexus LX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Outstanding vehicle. If you can afford it and want an SUV, look no further. My LX 470 has 80,000 miles on it and it rides as nice as it did when I bought it. Reliability, comfort and quality are super, not one rattle or vibration after the 6 years I have owned the vehicle. Probably built too well as there is no reason to get rid of it even after 6 years. I plan on keeping it for a long time and putting many more miles on it. Performs flawlessly in the snow as I can go anywhere. Had to get to navigate on a steep, closed road one snowy day. No problem at all in this vehicle. Just a great vehicle.

The ride, navigation system and stereo.

Power seats in back. Would like to be able to control the rear heat and a/c from driver controls. Right now you can turn it on, but depend on rear seat passengers to control.

My 2003 Lexus LX 470
By j smith

2003 Lexus LX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am on the road a lot and carry 400-500 lbs. in the back. I have just turned 200,000 miles and my only expense beside maintenance was a wheel bearing. I could never say this about any other car I have driven.

Good ride, stability, better mileage than other large SUVs.

One piece tailgate that opens from the bottom. It would provide better protection from rain when loading or unloading.