Used 2003 Lexus LS 430 Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Lexus LS 430

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (111 reviews )

Never satisfied
By never happy

2003 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Bought well maintained LS430 with 66,000 miles 9/2009. Smooth, powerful responsive engine and transmission with good control via transmission alternative choices. Nice style, good mileage for size and power. Nice suspension, glad I did not choose harder Euro suspension. Steering too light, too much power assist for my taste.Excellent climate control ( no NAV) layout and function. Standard sound OK but nothing great. Seats look nice but lack lateral and thigh support. Passenger seat too short. NO SECONDARY SUN VISOR? Are you kidding Lexus? Gas pedal and brake too far to left, getting foot in middle of brake takes odd motion. Nice car but wish I had looked more at MB and DTS.

Engine, transmission, climate controls and function, seat controls (not seats), body fit and finish, nice suspension but a lot of road noise with Nokian tires now on car, soon to be replaced. I never will get another wood steering wheel if I can avoid it; cold, hard, slippery.

Move gas pedal at least one inch to right and brake two inches. Better, more supportive seats, less like LaZBoy. Make remote lock honk horn instead of beep that old folks like me can't hear ( yes, it's turned up all the way) Can't believe Lexus made with no secondary backup sun visor.

Lexus at its best!!
By jakemt

2003 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I recently purchased this car used. Out of all the series of the LS, this is probably the best. Also, if buying used, make sure the previous owner(s) maintained it properly as this will have a huge bearing on the current condition of the car. I had a 2000 LS400 that was poorly maintained previously and the transmission started slipping on me. I also test drove a used LS460 but did not feel as comfortable as the 430. It felt too stiff for my taste as I live in pot- holed NYC. Surprisingly, I'm getting almost 20 mpg in city driving. So far, great car!

Mark Levinson Audio, Comfort, Quiet

Exterior looks do not match interior & general quality & status of the car.

Certified Pre-Owned Purchase
By Certified Pre-Owned

2003 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This car was a great for my luxury driving experience. The ride is so smooth as if I was riding on air. The cost for ownership was far better than other luxury cars. The extending warranty work just wonderfully. I love my certified pre-owned Lexus.

power trunk opener,

radiator coolant bottle

Brake replacement needed every 40,000
By lexygirl

2003 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I absolutely adore the LS 430. I owned an Explorer pre LS and I will never go back. Maintenance on my LS 430 is less than I paid on my Ford! It drives like a dream in town & the hwy. The gas mileage is pretty good for the wt of the vehicle and everyone is always comfortable. I feel very safe and secure & do not worry about being stranded. I put a set of brakes on front and rear at 34,000 and now at 76,500 they are telling me I need front and rear brakes again. Leaves me wondering-shouldn't brakes last longer. I am not a 2 ft driver nor do I slam the brakes at stops.The other issue I have is the trunk will not stay open on its own. Other than these two issues I am SOLD on this brand.

Handling, heated seats, controls on steering wheel

Buy again.. after 200k more mile
By Great car!

2003 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The only thing this car needs is 4 wheel drive. Otherwise, this car has everything you could possibly want. This is my second Lexus (LS 400). I bought both used. This one I bought for 22k and 60,000 miles. It will easily last to 200k and only go into shop for routine maintance.

Navigation, AC, seats, trunk, comfort, room, cooled and heated seats, quiet.

4 wheel drive.