Used 2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (67 reviews )

2002 Lexus LS430
By Eric

2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This is my first luxury car and bought used to avoid sticker shock. The only item needing warranty replacement were the two gas-filled lifters for the trunk's lid. I bought as "like new" with 23K on the clock. The original owner replaced the Yoko 390's with Michelin XSE MXV4's as they wore out too soon. The ride is not super quiet over interstate pavement joints which may be exasperated by these new tires. I don't know. Also, the AC is so powerful that even in a Gulf Coast summer the fan speed on "Auto" has to be manually moderated. This involves using the Navigation touch screen. A nice problem to have though in Houston. I am 100% happy with this car even in our new era of $3/gallon gas.

The engine; plentiful power when needed but always silky smooth AND QUIET. The interior; reminds me of a 5 star hotel. Navigation; invaluable when out of my home territory.

The Lexus Link system (aka "On Star") which is now unavailable and soon to be disabled should be downgraded for free to an emergency only police alert device. My system was never activated ( not value for $)so still has its initial year of service available. What a waste of resources to just junk it.

Great car-----except for.....
By carbuff

2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned every luxury car known to man. This is the best. This is the second LS that I have owned. It is dealer certified with 28,000 miles and was almost $20,000 less than a brand new one. You can't go wrong buying a certified car. I don't think that there is a better car made at any price -- including the Mercedes S model. You might find more features -- but not a better car.

Great ride, quality of material, quietness of engine, and great feel of safety due to the car feeling so sound and sturdy

Here is the "except". The standard radio is absoletely the worst that I have ever heard in a luxury car--sounds like it belongs in a cheap American economy car. I traded a 2004 Acura TL with XM Radio with an unbelievable great sound. I would "almost" trade back just for the radio.

Greatest
By Admiral

2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

After almost three years I have never had a problem. Routine maintenance has been the only requirement.

Folding outside mirrors.

The exterior design is a little bland. The GS is better.

Awesome Luxury Car
By Duane

2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I total love my Lexus 430! I have only had the car a month but it is hands down the best car I have ever owned. Just sold an Infiniti M45 haited the car. I have owned Mercedes and Cadillac but Lexus is hands down the best for the money. The Ultra Luxury package is awesome!!! You would pay 15K more on a Benz with the same equipment. I also got the Lexus warranty for 7 years and 100K! How can you go wrong! If you are looking for the best ride you have ever experienced for a reasonable price please look into the LS430. You can't go wrong!!!!!!!!!

Navigation, comfort of the seats, head and leg room, stereo is awesome, enjoyment of driving the vehicle

Only suggestion I would like to see is Massage seats for the front!! Mercedes has it, and on the Ultra Luxury for the money the 2 front seats should have massage! Also a control to cut off the rear entertainment!! Kids drive u crazy hitting all the buttons. Also provide splash guards for rear

Not Quite So Nice
By Not Quite So Nice

2002 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This was to be my retirement car, you know, keep forever. Got the Ultra. Bad choice. Took delivery out of front alignment. Turns out I discovered air suspension was causing a strong lean (2" shorter on right"). Didn't notice until sitting on a perfectly flat surface. Should have gotten the standard suspension. Took dealer three times to get right, had to make call to Japan.

Navigation is best around. Except my August 2002 purchase was only updated through 2001. Novelty of voice command Nav wore off after a few weeks. Regular Nav in my GS (not voice command) is just as good.

Loved the Lexus Link (OnStar). Was not happy that they did not offer an integrated phone in So Cal (even though it's in the brochure), and now they have taken the Lexus Link out of the 2004/5 models.