Used 2002 Lexus LS 430 Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Lexus LS 430 Consumer Reviews

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (67 reviews )

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Garry Willis

2002 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Trouble free, low maintenance, smooth, efficient, powerful and a huge trunk over 20 cubic ft. Just change the fluids and you're good. Classic good looks and good re sale value.

Love my Lexus...Would not buy German again!
By SebastianJames

2002 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I've owner later model German Cars before and while you cannot beat their handling, this car is something out of it's own breed. I call it my "Japanese Mercedes" less all the maintenance costs but all the luxury and ride of a Cadillac. It's the BEST of all worlds if you are looking to feel like a MILLION bucks and drive a vehicle that originally stickers for over $68,000 (I still have the original paperwork). All maintenance has been performed on the vehicle by either Lexus or an Independent Lexus-Certified mechanic who only uses genuine Lexus parts. The vehicle has had synthetic oil from the very first time the second owner owned the vehicle.

Only have 115,000 miles and I've been told by an independent Lexus mechanic that the car should easily drive another 100,000 miles or more! Talk about a return on your investment. Fuel charges are high for city driving. Average 11mpg for Los Angeles driving (no freeway driving). During trips, the Lexus just averaged 23-25. I just had it services and drove it cross country from Tennessee. Brake job, inspection, detailing and synthetic oil change from THE Lexus dealer in Knoxville, TN. Next scheduled maintenance is 116,000 miles. LEX-TECH in Silver Lake is the VERY BEST Lexus mechanic around. I've tried to ask them to do more to the vehicle that what was recommended at the time and they actually REFUSED to do the work. They are a very customer-centric and operate under a budget friendly conscious business model. Can't say enough about LEX-TECH if you live in the Greater Los Angeles area.

I love this car....and I still love this car
By mchristiansen

2002 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I must admit, I've only owned it for 5 days, but I'm so excited about it. We owned a '96 Cadillac Deville, which we traded in when we bought the Lexus. It was a great old car....comfortable, roomy, and built like a tank. Even though I'm nearing being 'an old lady', I wanted something more up to date...including some more recent technology that wasn't available in the cadillac.
Update; This car is now 14 years old, we've owned it for two years, and I still love it. Since it didn't come equipped with some of the latest technology, I took it into Car Toys and had a Parrot bluetooth system installed so I could access hands free phone calling, among other features. Outside of a routine oil change, etc. I've not had one major problem with this vehicle. May it ever be thus. Best car I've ever owned.
Update 2-6-17; I still love this car! As mentioned before, haven't had one issue with it....(knock on wood!). There are a few minor things happening...like little rattles and oddities, but still minor when considering the age of the car. When I finally get winter's dirt washed off and get the inside cleaned up again, it will be my dream car, again.
Update; 8-07-18. Yup...I still love this car! We've now owned if for 3 years and haven't had a dime's worth of trouble with it. Considering it's now 16 years old, I'd say that's pretty amazing.

'02 Lexus LS430 Ultra
By jeffdinohio

2002 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Recently purchased a '02 Lexus LS430 with the Ultra package. This vehicle replaced a LS400 with well over 250,000 miles. You cannot compare the bullet-proof reliability of Lexus vs. the other so-called luxury brands. This particular Lexus is giving me 25+ mpg on the highway along with the best ride imaginable. No squeaks, no rattles, nothing out of a vehicle that is over 12 years old! Doesn't use a drop of oil and when you do change the oil it looks like it is still brand new. The Ultra package gives extra refinement especially to the rear seat passengers. The reclining, massaging seats are extraordinary for a journey of over a few hours. Definitely a 5 star vehicle and one I recommend.

heated/cooled seats rear passenger audio controls rear reclining and massaging seats rock solid feel going down the road incredible gas mileage for a vehicle this size ease of mind knowing you will always arrive at your destination without any hitches reliable vehicle as the day is long with proper maintenance will last a lifetime

none that I can think of

Love this car!
By Norge

2002 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased as a CPO with 43,000 on the clock. Looked high and low for a black on black and finally found one. I have put 60,000 miles on the car (it has 104,000 now) and love it every time I get in it. Drives great, handles well and brakes hard and solid. Very smooth ride and still beautiful! Only issue was one of the mirrors would not fold all the way. Dealer replaced both under warranty with 2006 mirrors and promised they will outlast the car. Trunk struts went out too and were also replaced. Only issue is with the center arm rest. All the padding is gone. No idea but it is flat. Everything else works like new! Ac is ice cold and the heated seats could cook eggs.

acceleration and leg room

keyless starting and bluetooth which came out later but I heard the new cars are not as reliable as the old like mine so I will do without.