Used 1998 Lexus LS 400 Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Lexus LS 400

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (42 reviews )

The best car in Lexus and all others
By Allen

1998 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I bought the 98 LS 400 from Toyota at 110K for $11K in 2007. Tried many cars including MB and other Lexus. I would say this is a car beyond belief, 10 fold better I mean. Even compare to brand new RX, it still is on different level. I plan to buy another soon. No matter how you compare, comfort, quality and reliability, it all scores top of all cars. This car's body integrity is so good, you simply feel solid and can drive confidently.

Body design is better looking than LS 430; I love the armrests on doors which are leather wrapped. All leather are top grades. Quiet, comfort, very nice wood trim, Even the key is well designed. It is that detail oriented!

Cup holder too small, especially the driver side, looks very cheap. Newer version are much better. But the leather in LS 400 is better. Wish they have a wagon version, then I don't need to buy a larger car. RX is not that great. Interier material looks cheaper.

From a Mustang GT to a Family Car
By Ben Logan

1998 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

The car is solid as a rock. It has never once coughed or buzzed or knocked. I feel very safe driving my family around in it. Switching from a Mustang GT stick, it took a while to get used to the delay in jumping off the line. If you want power immediately, or are doing an instant merge to freeway speeds, you better be power breaking it from the get go. It has plenty of power, even more than the GT, but that half second delay can get you if you aren't used to it. I am still finding cool features. It is luxury at its finest.

Everyone loves to fall asleep in it. The driver's seat goes completely horizontal. The ride is silent and smooth.

It is pretty generic looking overall, but most execs and mature guys aren't interested in getting attention with their car. The CD player went out on me, and changing out the stereo will kill the dash because the sound system is so integrated. I would suggest finding one with the Nakamichi.

My second Lexus
By Barney

1998 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I bought my first an ES 300 in 2000 for my wife to be, she loved it but I loved it more. I sold it to my brother in law after we were married and got my wife a Mercedes and almost a divorce. Needless to say I bought her a 1998 LS 400 from original owner that was impeccable and I found my true love. This is the best motor car for price, comfort, reliability in its class. This is as good as it gets! Classic styling, smooth riding and dependability. I love this car almost as much as my wife!!

Power when you need it and comfort all the time. I'm always looking for a new road trip!

This is a 1998, they have done what needs to be done.

Wife's car
By ronjenkinsdc

1998 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Great car. purchased used in 2003 with 120K and has been the best car I have owned.

Ride comfort and interior sound levels.

Premium fuel is not cheap.

Best Car Ever
By R Smalls

1998 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 3 weeks and it is hard for me not to make excuses to drive somewhere. The comfort and quality is unmatched. I also enjoy the power of 290 HP which will sprint from a traffic light as fast as a sports car. All this and it is 8 years old!! I get so many stares and compliments that it makes me want to blush!This is definitely a car that I will keep for years to come. Oh yeah I was a little disappointed that I did not get the Nakamichi Stereo. No need to be the Lexus Premier system is also incredible. I compared the MB E430 and the GS 400 which I almost bought. But after driving the LS 400 it was the best of both worlds. Speed. Power. Luxury. Can you tell how much I like this car!!!!

290 HP, 300 Torque. Overall Comfort

None. I think that Lexus nailed it on this one and they are trying to hit the mark again!