Used 1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (42 reviews )

Perfection
By map64

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought a 1998LS 400 with 140K miles on it 4 months ago. I am amazed by the performance and reliability of a 15 year old car by the way it puts many of the new cars on the road to shame, particularly luxury sedans of the same age. The best compliment for this car happened when my 15 years said she wants one too because the ride is so smooth, quiet and fast (when needed)!!

Everything...ride, quietness, fuel economy, stereo, HVAC and interior comfort

More leg room for driver and front passengers

Great Luxury Flagship
By 90lsguy

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

After my 250k miles 1990 LS400 got trashed in a hail storm, I had to find a suitable replacement. After extensive research the 1998-2000 LS400 models fit the bill-40 more hp(290), 5 speed transmission, VSC and V8vvti engine. I bought online a one-owner, dealer-serviced, full records 1998 in mint condition that sold new for $59k. My test drive was the 1400 mile effortless drive back to Denver. Got 30mpg hwy doing 80mph with A/C on. The car absolutely looks and performs as new. The service history consists only of factory-recommended maintenance; nothing ever broke. A full dealer inspection after my trip revealed no issues. Spectacular vehicle for one-tenth cost new.

Quiet ride, sound system, breath-taking acceleration (0-60 in 6.2), high mpg (21/30), high quality of paint and interior, cavernous glove box, in-dash CD changer, integrated key/remote, low maintenance cost, size of moonroof, dateless style, visibility

Bigger rear view mirrors, trunk pass-through, aviation-style reading lights, slicker-looking trip computer, louder turn-signal blinker, owner-replaceable headlamp bulbs, more accurate climate control (my Highlander is better), more effective fog lights

Best Used Car Purchase EVER!
By jt821

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car three years ago w/ 80k. I now have a bit over 140. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. I did the 90k maintenance which was about $1000, but was very extensive. The car is comfortable, quick, and surprisingly economical. Every once in a while I get the itch to buy a new car, but think what could I replace this with that would come close. The answer is nothing. I have two other Lexus's that I bought used, a '92 SC300, and a '95 ES 300 and have been just as fortunate with those.
My daughter now has the ES at college with 260k, and my SC is my weekend car with 180k.

Reliable, economical, and comfortable

I miss my Lexus!
By drblptq

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I once told my close friends if I ever sell this car to please take me out and shoot me! I did sell it, and to my dismay, few cars could come close to the refinement, ride quality and overall durability of this fine automobile.

I bought it used with 32,000 miles on the clock, it was a one owner car. I kept it for 4 years as a second car ( I also have a company car), and traded it when I thought I needed a larger (silly me).

It would avage 29 mpg, in mixed drive from a 290hp 4 litre V8, simply amazing! The sound deadening is superb.

If you ever have the opportunity to own one, do it, but hold on to it, they last forever.

Ride, comfort, quiet....one of the finest cars I have ever owned. It is amazing dependable, not one problem in 4 years of ownership. Highly recommend!

None!

Unbelievable!
By Allen

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

It is unbelievable that Lexus can put up so many contradictory characteristics into the same car: Luxury to the extreme yet economical with high reliability and best in class MPG. With "Pulse and Glide" technique, I get 37 MPG on freeway. Using cruise control, I get 30 MPG; Top performance yet quiet and smooth as silk. Acceleration start at 30+ is breath taking. I challenge any sports car on the road. Feel like "Speak softly and carry a big stick" I call it the world class economical luxury sports cruiser.

Quiet, smooth, fast, luxury, every single detail. Perfect interior and classical exterior design. Very comfortable seats.

bigger cup holder. That's it.