Used 1990 Lexus LS 400 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1990 Lexus LS 400 Sedan

Base 4.0L V8 4-speed Automatic - (26 reviews )

Keeps going and going and going
By wnorton

1990 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

First year of release, now coming up on 20 years and this vehicle is still a GREAT car. We have 150,000 miles and put our first big expense into the car (AC repair @ $1000). This has been the most reliable car we've ever owned. Car is 17+ years old and still looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. No rust, no dings, no scratches, no cuts. I've pushed my wife to buy a newer car and she pushes back everytime. She loves this car.

Smooth ride, durable, reliable, comfortable,

This car is 900 lbs heavier than subsequent models. I'm not sure I wouldn't put the 900 lbs back (grin).

Keeping it Forever
By Aime Casavant

1990 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

We have 167,000 miles on our 1990 Lexus LS 400. I'm 58 years old - it is the best car we have ever owned. No repairs except the scheduled maintenance and a paint job. This LS has beautiful cloth seats which we prefer. My wife said she wants to keep it forever, if it runs that long. It still runs like the first day we bought it. My wife said for Christmas she wanted it repainted as it gad a few dings and cracked paint. It cost $3500 to strip to metal and repaint - we now have a new 1990 Lexus LS 400. 27 MPG hwy. We did take excellent care of it with 3,000 mile synthetic oil chnages, transmission/radiator flush and all scheduled maintenance. Highly recommend!

LOVE THIS CAR!
By dinastar

1990 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Inherited from my parents and can't love it enough. A bit of a gas hog but hey, it's a huge fun V8! Most powerful engine I've ever driven, and wow! What a car.

Comfy seats, big engine, never breaks down, wonderful comments from guests.

Stiffer suspension. Brakes a little stiffer. I think they did that in later models.

423k miles and runs like a dream, but...
By Catchdog

1990 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I originally bought this car with 187k miles on it. I have this car and I also have a 2001 LS430 with 82k miles it. My 90 LS400 still runs great and actually I like the older Lexus look more then the new ones but repairs are enormous because of the part costs. Those buying a Lexus be forewarned parts are 3-4 times what a Toyota part costs. Still, with over 400k miles and running and looking beautful I think this car is the best ever built. Awesome car, but an expensive trip to the dealer for minor stuff....

Body style and smoothness. Beats a 2006 Avalon in top end speed and smooth handling anyday and this Lexus is 15 years old.

Parts are way too expensive, and if you want to drive a luxury sedan you better be willing to pay big bucks at the dealer for repairs... I'd like to see a Mercedez e class sedan ride like new as the LS400 that's 15 years old does-won't happen. Best car ever built.

16 years, still better than any others
By i h ck

1990 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

grandfather bought car brand new in debut year. interior and exterior still in excellent condition. has 97,000 miles. has been mistaken for a 1996. performance is astounding--monstrous acceleration, smooth shifting tranny, buttery handling. cannot feel how fast you're going--has led to speeding tickets. has been driven at 160mph. sounds like a plane. interior quiet and comfy. has features unheard of in 1990--optional ride height control, etc. only complaints--LCDs dimming, carpet fading. leather is slightly cracking on driver seat. sound system has deteriorated over time. CD changer broken but never fixed. but, car is 16 years old (it's expected). AC has broken down.

GREAT V8--HUGE ACCELERATION. SMOOTH TRANNY, GREAT HANDLING, NICE TOP SPEED, RELIABLE. great looking instrument cluster--completely black/invisible when car is off, illuminates in a sharp, bright, electronic white when car is turned on. yellow fogs integrated into headlight unit. paint still glossy.

needs stronger brakes. LCDs need revision. entire airbag activates horn-- easy to mistakenly honk the horn. sound system gets bad with age. AC can break down. firmer driver's seat. would be the ultimate car if it had manual tranny, which is unreasonable considering the class it's in.