Used 2002 Lexus IS 300 Consumer Reviews - 169 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:

My happy car
By MCJ

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it in CA as Certified Pre-Owned. I love the CPO warranty (3 years from purchase and up to 100K total vehicle miles), but haven't had to use it. Driving it never fails to bring a smile to my face. Now that it's in New England, it is much more rare to see another one, but that only makes it more of a head-turner. The car is small, but comfortable enough for a foursome to go golfing in. I drove it across country in 3 days full of cargo with no complaints. Other than a problem with the dealer fixing my seat heaters (they eventually replaced my seats for me), no unexpected maintenance. Love this car!

The brakes are great. It will stop on a dime if necessary. The stereo is awesome for stock. An absolute blast to drive. The back seats are surprisingly comfortable. Headlights nice and bright!

I wish the stereo had an AUX input for XM, iPod, etc. The stereo, while good, is difficult to upgrade. In most cases you need to upgrade the whole thing. Wish it could handle better in the New England snow.

IS 300 Outstanding
By lugbolt

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a great car, with a fun driving experience. I test drove everything higher and lower in price, but I found nothing more exciting. Lexus quality is evident in ride and performance.

Manual tranny is smooth and easy to work. The manual shift mode is much better than other cars I've driven. Lets you stay in manual mode with full auto control.

Worth every penny.
By Lemnkr8

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

IS 300 has great looks and great performance and with the five-speed transmission is is every reason I needed to never purchase the low quality , poorly conceived product offered by the "Big 3" automakers. Every detail has been addressed by Lexus engineers to make a high quality product that is fun to drive and easy to maintain. This car is worth every dollar you pay for it.

5 speed transmission, compass in rear view mirror, great handling, great responsiveness.

Chip-resistant exterior finish.

A Great Little Car
By Ace is300

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my IS for over 15 months and I can't even believe how drama-free and worry-free it's been. It's a sweet heart of a car. I love this car. It's got great handling, good acceleration (I've got the rare 5 spd/man.), awesome color (Solar Yellow), and adequate luxury (Nav.syster,heated seats, full leather, 6 disc cd). But it's the fun factor that keeps me smiling.

Handling, looks, color, the rare straight 6 cylinder engine, sporty dash design

More luxury, about 25-30 more horses, a 6 spd.man, more back seat space

IS 300 5spd
By ProfessorP

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in spring '03 & still love to drive it. Flawless reliability. Has 80K+ miles, but feels & looks new. Replaced two sets of tires & one set of brake pads. A blast to drive. Sold my SC 400 6 mos after buying this car, because I never drove the SC anymore. Handles better than most sports cars, turn-in is crisp and fast, steering is not overboosted. Could use a bit less body roll in stock form. Swapped in Eibach springs and handling is noticably improved. Power from the inline 6 is smooth & the sound of the engine is a wonderful purr. Interior layout is perfect, fits like a good racing glove. A true driver's car. I also enjoy the fine Nav System w/easy to use controls at my fingertips.

Manual transmission, rear wheel drive, ability to fully disable traction control, great brakes, distinctive looks, suprisingly good stereo system, excellent Xenon headlamps, stylish 17" wheels.

None. Anything else would ruin the simple purity of this 4-door sports car.