Used 2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (74 reviews )

Great Car 5+ Years W/NO Major Problems
By ProjectMayhem

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new and have had no majors problems. The only issue I had was my CD changer broke last year, but Lexus replaced it for free! I was more than a year out of warranty -that's customer service! This was my first Lexus but won't be my last. They have the great Toyota quality and even better Lexus styling and prestige. You won't find a better car for the money!

Styling, quality, reliability, handling.

Better cup holders.

Best Balanced Car
By E. Griffith

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got married & was looking for a sedan to replace my Honda Prelude, but I didn't want to give up the quickness and great handling. The IS 300 weighs 300 lbs. more than the Prelude but certainly doesn't drive like it. I was not afraid to buy one with over 100,000 miles because my family has owned several Lexus models. They rarely need repairs. I had to replace a cracked wheel (previous owner abuse) and found $200 for a re-manufactured one much easier to swallow than $500 from Lexus. Someone installed metal brake pads and cheap Kuhmo tires. After switching to ceramic pads and Pirrelli P Zero tires, the car is back to it's surprising potential.

1. Awesome balance between amazing handling, smooth ride and tranny, and practical spaces (nice trunk and back seat for a small car). 2. Unmatched reliability 3. 2JZ inline-6 engine like the non-turbo Supra 4. Driver experience: seat, steering, gauges, responsiveness... all wonderful.

A lot of plastic in the interior (which Lexus improved with the new IS) but this car is biased toward sport more than luxury. Now if I could just put the 306 hp V6 from the new IS on my tighter suspension, we'd have a truely capable sports sedan!

Best Ever
By Shea McCuen

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best looking Lexus ever made. It looks sporty while still maintaining is luxury image. It handles like a rear wheel drive sports car should handle, and engine and transmission performance are perfect.

Diamond White Pearl paint.

More cup holders.

Stylish, sporty, stellar
By jstxlr8

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have liked the IS since it came out and was thrilled to be able to buy one 2 years ago. In two years, I have had no complaints, just a lot of compliments and a lot of fun. I'd rather have this car used for the 20,000 I bought it for than any new car on the road for the same price. I drive my cars pretty hard, and this has been one of my favorites..have had a Prelude, Maxima, and Probe GT, but the IS spanks em all. I do use the E shift alot, makes for a more fun driving experience, especially with the traction control off... it tends to kick in early sometimes, which is fine if I'm not having a little fun with the car. Great luxo-sport car, that acts like and even looks like a coupe.

6 disc changer, heated seats, E shift, and RWD, full size spare, shift knob. I enjoy the compliments at almost every gas stop and oil change.

MUST have ALL season tires if in snowy regions, one touch closing of moonroof, and armrest.

Excellent
By Ruth Mc CARTHY

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fun to drive and comfort on a trip. Get thumbs up on style and just a good looking car and I love my car.

Easy access to dash board equipment. Nice size trunk. Nice interior fabric/leather

Add mud guards front and rear to prevent sand, dirt and rocks pitting the paint.