Used 2006 Lexus IS 250 Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific IS 250 model:

50,000 Mile Review
By CBP

2006 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have now driven my IS 250 for 50,000 miles with little or no trouble. I replaced the tires and front brake pads at 45,000 miles. I am still using the original battery and rear brakes. I have switched to regular gas and am getting a combined mileage of 26.2 mpg. On the highway I am getting as high as 36 mpg using a coasting driving technique. The best way to accomplish this is to activate the instant mileage display and then slightly back off the gas pedal intermittently and watch the mileage indicator go up. The vehicle has been subject to a number of recalls but I have not experienced any mechanical failures other than a slight oil leak from the dip stick when new.

High gas mileage if driven properly. Comfortable leather seats. Drives like a slot car with tight steering. Good tire and brake mileage. Good turning radius. Nice sized trunk and a usable back seat. Premium gasoline recommended but runs on regular just fine.

Obstructed view when backing up. Back up camera should be included without having to buy the expensive navigation system. If the back up camera can be included on the Toyota Prius without the navigation system why not on all vehicles?

Shattered High Hopes
By Shattered High Hopes

2006 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The auto that I purchased was a nightmare. I had to buy tires after one year. The radiator had a leak, although I never saw where it was. I reported the problem to the Lexus dealership and I was told that there was a problem that was discovered with the radiator and that it would be replaced if I was still covered by my warranty. Well I wasn’t and as a result I often drove without any heat, estimated cost $1,600. After a year I had to have the fuel injectors cleaned, cost $1,200. I complained repeatedly complained about a ticking noise coming from the engine. I was told that that was normal. After two years and 60.000 miles I was told that my valve springs were failing.

Fun car but driver seat is crippling
By Alexa

2006 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this car for 2 1/2 years. It is a beautiful car and mine did not have any quality problems. It is fun to drive though the acceleration and cornering could be better. I usually have 1 or 2 people in the car so the tiny back seat is not an issue. Few things to be aware of: The wheel well on the driver's side is narrow and has a protuberance that forces me to sit at an uncomfortable angle. I have a hip/SI joint problem that I think the car contributed to. Second thing: Warning lights are extremely annoying -- even for something trivial like a low tire. And the low tire warning goes off a lot for silly reasons like temperature changes -- and only the dealer can turn it off

Exterior design, electronics, nav system.

Use the nav system while driving. Cool it on the warning lights. Make routine service affordable ($80 for an oil change?!?) Get rid of bump in wheel well on driver's side. Fold down rear seats would make it nearly perfect.

40,000 Mile Review
By CBP

2006 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have driven my 2006 Lexus IS 250 for 40,100 miles. I purchased the vehicle new in 2005. The computer indicates the average gas mileage for 40,100 miles is 26.1 miles per gallon. Highway gas mileage is as high as 36 mpg when driving 65 mph. I have been using mid grade gasoline and the mileage and performance is the same as premium grade. I back off the accelerator when possible to increase the gas mileage. The car has the original brakes and tires. The front brakes need to be replaced but the tires still have at least 10,000 miles left on them. The car has been extremely reliable since a few initial glitches. No major repairs to anything.

The gas mileage is great if driven properly. I use the paddle shifters to down shift when slowing to save the brakes. The car is extremely reliable and comfortable. The OEM tires will probably last 50,000 miles. This car is the best Lexus for the money.

Lexus dealers are now offering an after market back up camera incorporated into the rear license plate frame for $600.00. The blind spot when backing up is an annoying weakness. What about a hybrid version?

So-So for a Lexus
By Lee

2006 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I leased this car after reading several comparisons with BMW, Audi, etc. My first impression was this is a gorgeous car. Previously had a RX300, so I was expecting Lexus, but the IS250 has been an underachiever. Car has been recalled 2x or seatbelt assembly and brakes. Headliner rattle is noticeable when sunroof is open while driving. My biggest gripe would be that on 2 occasions when attempting to enter and start the vehicle, the push button ignition would not start and I was stranded for hours. Dealer could not address my issue, because they were unable to duplicate the problem.

Auxiliary input in center console (for MP3 player). Exterior definitely draws attention and after 2 years bodystyle has withstood the test of time.

Improved electronics (i.e. door release and push button ignition). Brake dust excessive. Larger back seat, my 5 year old has no leg room back there.