Used 2006 Lexus GX 470 Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Lexus GX 470

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (45 reviews )

Reliable and Luxurious
By kristeen

2006 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this car 2 years ago and it has been very reliable and convenient. With Lexus, you can't go wrong mechanically-what you get for your money is a total bargain. When you are in this price point, you can't skimp on some items and the navigation system is one of them. Of course if you choose to go with a stock stereo system it's a good system as well, but don't expect the best if you don't want to pay for it. The interior spacing is very comfortable-we often seat 4 adults and 3 kids in carseats in our vehicle. Of course that is using the third row - which is ideal for carseats or children who do not really need leg room. Driving it is a dream - I feel safe in all weather conditions.

Driving and handling, DVD system with headsets, appearance, overall performance

I do wish the 3rd row had more leg room.

Disappointing
By Jim R

2006 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have been so disappointed with this truck that, in the middle of my lease, I ordered a BMW X5 (I'm going back to this better performing, more luxurious SUV). The GX 470 is boring to drive. It lumbers down the highway like a full sized American car. The "premium" sound system is no better than average. The gas mileage is worse than the X5 - I rarely get more than 12 mpg. The interior is average - the leather and wood trim are not nearly as nice as what is offered by BMW or Audi. Overall, I paid 55,000 for this truck and it's worth about 35,000. I can't wait to get back into a BMW.

The truck is reliable. I've had no mechanical problems at all.

Beef up the luxury, performance and gas mileage. Provide a true "premium" sound system. Get rid of that archaic tape deck. Make the iPod connection and satellite radio standard at this price point. Restyle the outside - it's been too long since the exterior was updated.

It's a technological marvel
By DC

2006 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The top reason to buy an SUV is for traction control. Well, the technology in this car is phenomenal. Full, split axle 4-wheel drive for mud and snow slopes that some trucks could not even handle. Computer assisted 4-wheel drive for on road use in snow and ice, along with a brilliant ABS system, though unnerving at times, and you can be sure of a safe fast stop in any weather. I also got a special suspension option (one of the few options offered on a Lexus) and I am amazed at how it handles bumps. Riding in this car is an absolute pleasure. Its computer technology is amazing as is its build. Cost is high, but I can say, it's worth every penny.

Handling and suspension, DVD w/remote headphones, comfort and quietness of ride.

Implement the 8-6-4 cylinder technology other cars have in order to get a little better gas mileage. I get a stable 15 mpg in congested highway - local road driving. I top 20 mpg on fast open highway.

Great
By Francis

2006 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2006 GX 470 with the navigation/Mark Levinson package in Nautical Blue Metallic with dark gray interior on 3/25/06. The vehicle itself is beautiful inside and outside. The interior is a little dated however still very classy and functional. Fit and finish is impeccable and to Lexus standards. The ride is very smooth and stunningly quiet! The Mark Levinson system is excellent. The navigation system is a little too fussy: you have switch from region to region if you are going to do any traveling between states and require assistance. The V8 is silky smooth and more then adequate to power the vehicle. Overall the GX 470 is a great SUV that I would highly recommend to anyone.

Mark Levinson, nav, ride, smooth engine, bluetooth.

3rd row (too small), the side hinged rear door is awkward to use at times especially when on sloped roads (liftgate please), switches for the heated seats are placed awkwardly in deep into the center console, Fuel economy or at least E85, XM radio

Happy in my GX
By marc

2006 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Traded in my RX 330 after 1 month for the GX! What a difference! Really great comfortable truck. I love the rear camera and nav. Totally great!

Nav, Bluetooth, camera, seating is great.

Cassette is useless, no need for 2 jump seats as they are not an option!