2017 Lexus GX 460 Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2017 Lexus GX 460

View reviews for a specific GX 460 model:

2017 Lexus GX 460 LEANING TO RIGHT SIDE !!!
By Teya

2017 Lexus GX 460 Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have a NEW LEXUS GX 460 and it LEANS to the right. Took it to the dealer and they say "it is within Specs". Vehicle leans 1 1/2" to the right passenger side. Lexus refuses to repair it. Feels unsafe to drive it this way. Based on my research this is a known issue with the GX model and Lexus refuses to admit it. Please, everyone who owns a GX 460 check you vehicle for a lean to the right and contact LEXUS. THIS IS unacceptable!!!!. Check NHTSA and you will see there are more that 8 complaints about this issue. Lexus needs to issue a re-call and fix it !!!

Vehicle Leaning to ONE side, Lexus refuses to fix
By Steff

2017 Lexus GX 460 Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased a NEW 2017 Lexus GX 460 and the vehicle is leaning to the right (passenger side) .Also feels much softer on that side when turning.Took the vehicle to the dealer 3 times already and they refuse to repair it. The even tried to convince me that it was designed to lean this way !!! Feels unsafe to drive it. This is a known problem on the GX 460 (sold as Landcuiser Prado it the whole world except in US) . Google " Leaning Lexus GX 460 and you will not believe how many owners are effected and Lexus refuses to repair. They know there is a problem but will not admit it. Always the answer is " It is within specs " . Looks and feels ridiculously for a 60K SUV. This vehicle shares the same KDSS as the 4Runner, Landcruiser 200 , Landcruiser Prado and it is a known problem for all. The worst part is how Lexus IS handling the problem !!! All owners of GX 460, please check your vehicle and if it leans to the right take to a Lexus dealer. Absolute disappointment!!!
Update:
8 months later Lexus still refuses to repair it. At this point I'm not sure if they don't want to repair it because it is expensive to replace there KDSS, because they don't know how to repair it , or because they don't want to admit they have been lying for so long. I talked multiple times with Lexus corporate and one Case Manager even told me that "it is a characteristic of this vehicle to PULL to the right". He didn't even realize the vehicle was leaning, not puling to the right but came up with a lie right away. I guess that is what they are instructed to say because everyone dealing with this problem throughout the country is getting the same answer: your vehicle is within specs or this is a characteristic of your vehicle.
It is sad that the same company "Toyota / Lexus " that builds the legendary Land Cruiser also employs such liars.
It is so evident that the vehicle has a Serious suspension problem but Lexus keeps denying it.
I would absolutely NOT buy another Lexus from now on !

Know the car to love it!
By Ronald T.

2017 Lexus GX 460 Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

If the Lexus LX 570 is the King of SUVs, the GX 460 is somewhere between the Queen and His Majesty’s Mother. I spent the last three years agonizing whether I could afford the LX 570 and ended up buying what I thought was a fair compromise between my heart and my head. Surprisingly, I found myself absolutely in love after driving the GX a few hundred miles! Let’s be clear: DO NOT buy this car if your intended use is dropping the kids off to school or going shopping; you could be disappointed. And yes, Lexus could have done better with the placement of the USBs, the dull-but-practical instrumentation gauges, and even the navigation display which was upgraded in all other models but this one. Other than that, if you don’t like the gas mileage, I recommend you buy a hybrid! You feel vibrations? Take your left foot off the brake pedal! Suspension feels wimpy? Take it out of the Comfort mode! The GX 460 is an incredibly luxurious, serious and TRUE Sport Utility Vehicle, which means a car made to get you through places you could not imagine walking, climbing or descending; effortlessly and safely towing significant loads and elegantly taking all abuses a luxury sedan would be crying about. Know the car to love the it!!

Great overall SUV, if you want an SUV
By Jim

2017 Lexus GX 460 Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I wanted a true SUV and not a crossover, so that pretty much limited my choices to Jeep, Lexus, and Land Rover (I know there are others like the G waggen, but these are the ones I considered). Although I had and loved a Grand Cherokee ZJ limited, I don't really like the size, comfort or look of the modern Grand Cherokee, so that was not an option. I own a land rover Discovery 2, and although I love it, it is not the most reliable car. The newest generation, the new discovery 5, was louder, uglier and felt less comfortable then the GX. The Velar has a nicer dashboard, but no 4Lo or locking differential AND it is a lot smaller. The Range Rover and Range Rover Sport are both more expensive and neither felt all that much more comfortable then the GX (tbh, I think the GX rides better). In addition, it seems that ever rover dealership has a few buy backs for sale and my experience with land rover dealerships leaving a lot to desired, I decided those were not for me. Then there was the GX. Large, strong, dependable, good looking, locking center dif, quiet and comfortable. Is it a sports car? No. But it definitely holds it's own on the highway and up winding mountain roads. It's large enough to haul 4 people and a lot of stuff without a worry (both on and off road). Only down sided is that it is NOT fuel efficient.

2017 GX 460
By Kevin Coldwell

2017 Lexus GX 460 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Just purchase 2017 GX 460 brand new from a dealer. car had 2 miles before i test drove it. Previously i was driving 2006 GX470. Let me tell you GX470 i really a luxury SUV and drives the way Lexus should drive. After driving for a week GX460 i started to notice a light vibration in steering wheel which was kind of odd to me since car has only 200 miles. I took it to dealership, they tested it out and stated you wheels are slightly off balance. (ok can happen not a big deal). I picked it up and drove for another day. Same issue plus car is pulling to the right. Called dealer and made appointment again. After evaluation dealer said you alignment is slightly off and performed alignment (very strange to me for a brand new car). After driving another day same issue just car pull to the left. Dealer had my car for 3 days, and when i picked it up dealer states everything is tested and drives better than any new Lexus on a lot. Today i will be returning it again because problem is still there plus navigation can't get calibrated. At least 2 times a week navi is off by good 15 miles. This lexus does not have power to it at all when driving on a street (my 2010 Accord 4cyl if faster than this GX ) plus when you driving it it feels like you riding a horse. THIS IS NOT A CAR THAT LEXUS USED TO MAKE. Save your money and get MB. I can't wait to get out of this car. Now it has only 600 Miles and i got nothing but problems. Lexus stated it drives like it should. VERY BUMPY ride, NOISY and not worth spending 65K. PLEASE DON'T BUY THIS LEXUS UNLESS YOU LOOKING FOR HEADACHE.