Used 1999 Lexus GS 400 Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Lexus GS 400

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (28 reviews )

Is that a 99 or 09?
By Old But New

1999 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

Power and more power will be the first thing you notice. The Lexus GS400 has to be one of the most beautiful cars every made. The visual presence is striking and unique, the inside cabin is made for comfort and styling. Under the hood sleeps a V-8 that will make your head jerk back if your not careful. The transmission is very smooth to compliment the V-8. In my opinion, the 99 Lexus GS400 was produced way before it's time, lucky for me I was able to find one that has been kept in excellent condition. To find a newer car with all the same features as this one would cost a pretty penny!

The unique body style and shape is unmatched. Premium sound system. Soft leather. Moon roof. For a v-8 gas consumption is good. Quiet ride

A little more leg room for back seat passengers

Amazing car
By fqcomm

1999 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

We bought the car with 90k and now has 210k with no problems other than the contacts on the starter motor going bad and clear coat on the hood peeling. Car is still very fast, comfortable and quiet, overall very pleased planning on keeping it for the foreseeable future, wife gets avg 24 mpg on 24 mile commute daily

engine is the best I have ever experience, confident, quiet, very powerful, steering is precise, great stereo, very powerful brakes, leather is still in great shape even after 11 years and over 200k miles, amazing car

split fold down rear seat would be helpful at times

An exceptionally built car
By Brian Theissen

1999 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

Purchased the GS400 from an older gentlemen in 2005 with 50K miles. The car now has over 100K miles and have not had one mechanical nor electrical issue with it. Besides the regular maintenance, i.e. new brakes, tires and oil changes - the car is as powerful as the day that I purchased it. For a car that is 10 years old the interior leather is in exceptional condition (monthly leather cleaning does help) that's more than I can say from my wife's 2006 Volvo S80 cracking leather. Overall gas mileage is unbelievable for a 300hp car, typical hwy is 28+ (75+ mph) city is around 20 mpg. This is my first Lexus and will not be my last.

The most reliable car on the road hands down. I would not expect anything less than from Toyota.

None

Pursuit of Perfection? Really?
By WCockrum

1999 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

I purchased a my GS with 65k on it and documented service history at the dealer all the way back to and including the window sticker. I am now at 89K and the plastic case around the AC evaporator has failing adhesive that leaks water into the car ($3400 repair). The starter takes about 20 min to actually start ( $900 repair) and it will be due for the $1000 90K maintenance at the next oil change. That's $5300 in maintenance before 90K miles. This is not the type of quality I expect from Toyota or Lexus. I don't think I will buy another and I would give some serious thought to repair expenses before I purchased one of their products. The headliner and sunroof sunshade have had rattles also.

Power.

Eliminate interior rattles, don't put a seam through the bottom of a container that holds water. It will eventually fail.

EXPENSIVE REPAIRS
By ANTONY80

1999 Lexus GS 400 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with 38k miles in March 03. No problems until 65k where my alternator needed to be replaced (I had to tow from turnpike). $800. At 80k miles check engine light and cat converter needed to be replaced $1500/converter and this car has 2 so $3000. I still like the car and plan to keep it for a while. More reliable than a BMW or Audi.

300HP. Handling.

Cupholder, please have a manual version. After all this is a sporty sedan.