Used 2006 Lexus GS 300 Consumer Reviews - 185 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific GS 300 model:

Electronic Issues
By David

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I used to drive a lot for business. Problems started when the warranty expired. It was like clock work! First the cruise control went dead. Took it to the neighborhood Lexus dealer. They kept my car for a 4 hours and could not find the problem. They were going to charge me $400.00 ($100 per hour) for diagnostics. Naturally, I didn't. Then the speedometer went crazy, going back and forth to not working at all, the car wouldn't shut off. Then nothing, everything would work fine the next day. The dealer told me it's a sensor problem and would cost $ 2000.00 + to repair!

Body design, smooth ride, and handling. It's a great car minus the electronic issues!

I feel the electrical components in this model, being that it is the 1st year of the new body style and most likely newly designed parts for this model, there was a lack of testing on the part of the car maker.

Looks, excellent; integrity, lacking.
By JMadden

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Wow! What a beautiful car; especially in comparison to the older model. However, Lexus really dropped the ball on this one. Granted it could be that I just happened to purchase a lemon but my car is at the dealer usually once or twice, sometimes more, a month for just about everything under the sun--from off track head-lamp washers to faulty oxygen sensors. If you want a car that looks very timeless then this is the car for you. If you want something reliable; I'd suggest a Yugo before this car.

My favorite feature is its pronounced, sporty looks. This Lexus is not you're typical 80 year-olds' Lexus.

Good, but not perfection of Lexus
By succeedinlife5

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Good car, but not perfection. I traded my 2000 LX 470 in for this as the fuel prices were getting high and the LX had too many things that needed to be fixed. I liked this car for it had the AWD package and was sporty. The style, layout, and overall looks were what I wanted. The problems are with the fit and finish of this car. The front dash rattles and I have taken it to the dealer 3 times for that. The wheel finish was poor, which I was able to get new wheels under warranty. The tires Run-Flat tires were great as I enjoy a stiff ride, but wore out on the insides, even with proper rotation. Get car, but Lexus fit and finish is really needing help to get back to Lexus quality.

The touch screen was a cool feature that really made the car modern and up to date. Also, the hidden button console to get rid of so many buttons out in the open as I enjoy uncluttered looks. AWD was a fantastic option as I like cars and Lexus did not really offer much except in SUVs with AWD.

Fit and finish. The dash rattles need to be fixed, the rearview mirror rattles, the wheels chipping was unacceptable for a car of this caliber. My muffler is very loud, which sounds bad for a refined luxury car. The fuel door never stays open and is a pain to use. A/C smells bad sometimes.

Best of its Class
By ErnestN San Diego

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

What an outstanding car!!! Tested it straight up against a M35, and the GS 300 was a hands down winner. It has everything, I mean everything you could ask for in a car. Bought it lightly used, the ride is superb, the looks head-turning, the features off the charts. Gas mileage 25 on my first tank, compared to 17-9 for the M35. Had a laundry list of items I wanted for my post military retirement "new" car, and this GS hit every one. Its only been a month, but no road noise, smooth ride, and the engine barely makes a sound. But with keyless start, you'll never grind the starter!! Money well spent!! One of these days I'll read the manual to find out what other features I have!

When the car is locked, when you approach it at night the interior and exterior mirror lights fade on, as to say "Welcome back". And here in CA, where hands free is mandatory, the Bluetooth works like a dream. However, you may have to upgrade your phone to upload numbers to the car's hard drive.

The engine covers hide all internal workings, just to change an air filter requires a two step process. But who am I kidding, I don't do a thing except check the oil. Other than needing more interior lighting, the car is perfect. You hear that, Mercedes, BMW, and Infiniti? PERFECT!!

Dream Car!
By SZ

2006 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Great options, nice styling inside and out. Awesome sound system, comfortable ride. Outstanding interior design - aesthetically pleasing. Comfortable, yet fast enough, gas mileage almost like a 4 cylinder Camry. Build with materials of high quality. Bought certified used - peace of mind!

Looks! Especially the interior, camera, GPS, Panel controls, spot lights and Mark Levinson sound system. Acceleration on streets and cruising ability on freeways. AFS lights, parking sensors, rear pillars styling very sporty...

None....a very balanced car for its price.