Used 2005 Lexus ES 330 Consumer Reviews - 160 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Lexus ES 330

Base 3.3L V6 5-speed Automatic - (160 reviews )

Outstanding 2005 ES 330 with 48K miles
By MJW

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my ES 330 for 3 months and have made one rather lengthy trip, plus drive to work every day. I haven't experienced the transmission problems that others have. The navigation system that many complain about is fine. Read the manual and plan ahead. I agree the cup holders leave a lot to be desired. The sound system is great, but I wish the CD changer was in the dash. As for gas mileage - on my 1500+ mile trip I averaged 28.65 MPG, which includes driving into some heavy head wind - average speed 70+. Not a sexy car, but I am glad a made this purchase. Perhaps I just got lucky?

Heated and cooled front seats; rain-sensing wipers; great sound system; great fuel economy; smooth ride (and properly functioning transmission). I have all maintenance records (all work done at Lexus) - this car has never had a major problem.

Better cup holders; CD changer should be in the dash, not in the center console (I believe the ES350 improved in these areas); floor mats are not as good as Toyota - they should be equal to or better than Toyota Camry floor mats.

DON'T BUY A 2005 MODEL
By Tamra Parks

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have the same issues as others with the transmission and it drives me crazy. I complained at the 5,000 mile checkup and the dealership told me, "We know about this common complaint, but you will get used to it." In other words, too bad. My car has 63,000 miles and I have not gotten used to it. So I will never buy another Lexus because of it. This is my second one. Also, the cup holder is so flimsy that it broke and they want $380 to fix it. The quality is equivalent to what you would find in a $10,000 car.

Heated and cooled seats.

See above.

2005 ES 330
By Rich

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The ES is a pleasure to drive and one of the quietest cars I have ever been in. It offers a great ride with nice power. Controls are logically laid out for easy operation while driving. My 3 points of criticism are: 1) Terrible cup holders 2) Transmission hesitates when accelerating from a slow roll is a very poor design on this model 3) Front seat should be longer to reach closer to your knee for improved comfort and better support "under leg".

Great looking car, quiet drive, maintains value.

Improve cup holders so that every time you turn the wheel your drink doesn't fall out. Improve computer calibration on transmission to eliminate hesitation noted above. Increase length of front seats by 2-3" to improve comfort and support.

So here's the deal...
By Greenespace

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, it's a great and reliable car. The pluses include a quiet ride, extreme reliability, plenty of legroom, and an excellent stereo, even if it's just the premium, not the Mark Levinson version. The biggest negative I can think of is that the transmissions in these cars are awful in lower gears. You WILL be jerked around, especially if you are rolling at low speeds and then accelerate. However, other than that, an excellent buy and a car that is hard to go wrong with.

Fairly smooth ride, quiet, extreme reliability, good stereo, well laid out cockpit for the money.

Could be a little more stylish from the exterior- not exactly a Mercedes in that dept. Transmission definitely was a problem on these cars. Won't go out, but will jerk you around a bit.

I'm going to miss her
By comfortable/safe

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is a luxury car, not a sport car. I have enjoyed driving this car! I will buy another someday! the comfort and feeling of a quiet, safe reliabilty comes to mind instantly! Worth every penny... I owned a Lexus.

I loved the seats! Heated or cool in the summer!

More direction on working the navigation system.. Paint on hood starting chipping right away!