Used 2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (32 reviews )

My First Lexus
By Steve Parker

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used (56000 miles) because I thought it to be stunningly beautiful. I still have it because it is completely reliable, economical (especially on trips) and very inexpensive to maintain. I drive my wife and myself to college football games 300 miles away and cover the ground from the coast of Virginia to the mountains with no effort at all. This car is totally comfortable, quiet and unstressed. The sound system is excellent and we always arrive at our destination relaxed. It starts and goes effortlessly, every time. It does like 93 octane BP gas, which it gets exclusively as well as synthetic blend oil, which is changed every 5000 miles. The cabin filter is a big help.

Quiet, totally reliable, ease of maintenance, durable, comfortable and ergonomic. Gas mileage is very good, 22 city, 29 highway (route 460). Quality of fit and finish and paint is excellent. Still beautiful after 8 years and 70000 miles.

I liked the old "power/econ" switch on my 96 Camry V-6. This car could use one. Other than that, it is a wonderful auto.

Best Car Ever Owned
By Ted

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Lexus ES new in 2001. It is now 6.5 years old and has 79,000 miles. I just replaced the battery for the first time, and other than that, I have done oil, air filters, and one set of tires. This car is the most reliable thing. We paid the ES off 2 years ago and are going to keep it as a second car. We will be purchasing a new 2008 ES 350 and hope it is just as reliable as this one has been. Also nice to know is that the resale value is still approx $13K, after 7 years! We are sold on Lexus!

Wood steering wheel, sound system, overall performance, build quality, etc.

Umm....it's perfect.

Great Car
By SweeneySK

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is an all around good vehicle. I love the moonroof, woodgrain dash, decent gas mileage, automatic headlights, heated seats, smooth ride as well as get up and go.

Styling (leather interior, moonroof, woodgrain dash), pep, gas mileage, heated seats.

Cup holders are cheap and don't work well. No compass (I wish it had an electronic compass). Doors don't lock at 5 mph (safety feature that my old car had). Some wind noise.

Very Happy ES 300 owner
By Chris

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased mine used with 36K miles and, like another ES 300 reviewer on this site, had to replace the idle control sensor as well! (defect?) Other than that the car has been a dream. I like it better than the newer Lexus models which have too many extra do-dads like a navigation system, etc. (I'm a man and I know directions!)

Ride, sound system is killer, styling, has just the amount of luxury I need without going to the poor house. Plan to keep it for 6-10 more years.

Idle control sensor quality control?? And the 4" black strip that separates the front and rear doors is peeling. The word "Toyota" is etched all over the car - come on.

Great used car deal
By WaterskiUS

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car with 40,000 miles and live in San Diego. I immediately had to get an idle control sensor, the windshield re-sealed, and driver side door electronics redone through the warranty. Beyond that, I have had no problems. It's luxury to the T.

The sound system!!! Best I've ever heard in a car. I think this car will run forever. After owning it 1.5 years it still looks new!

Maybe more pep and better gas mileage (I usually get about 18mpg).