Used 1998 Lexus ES 300 Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Lexus ES 300

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (48 reviews )

Great car with amazing reliability!
By seattlegirl

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for a little over a year now and am still loving it. The car had 68k miles on it when I bought it and now has 80k and runs as if it was new. The only maintenance it has needed was a new tail light bulb (the car told me it was out or else I never would have known). It's so comfy both to drive and ride in and fun to drive. I wouldn't call it sporty, but I love the comfy ride the responsive steering. considering it is a luxury car, the es300 gets great mileage. It doesn't take premium and I can get up to 26 mpg driving lots of highway. Very quiet, lots of handy features. There's even an extra outlet plugin for an iPod in the console. The styling is classic, people love it!

Auto driver and passengers seat adjuster, leather, wood accents, steering, center console is so handy!

Cup holders! I had a mocha fly out of one while making a sharp turn. Floormats still have mocha stains on them! Telescopic steering wheel would be a nice touch. Also I wish the keyless entry clicker was integrated with the key like on newer models.

Excellent Reliable Car
By johndds

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Original owner. ES 300 is extremely reliable: no engine/transmission problem. still get 19+ MPG. Timeless body design. Excellent value. However, does not drive like a BMW.

Used but still a lexus
By avan

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I love this car, the '97 to '00 body style with it's sporty, deliberate lines stemming from its lifted rear to it's lowered front end quite simply seem to flow better than that of the newer models which, though impressive in their own right, seem more to me like that of a family ride. As far as performance is concerned this car handles like a champ and practically drives itself, it's impressive 200 hp is more than complemented by its smooth beyond reason shifting. Interior and dash controls are simple and elegant like that you would expect from Lexus. There is a downside in its poor turning radius but it's made up for by its ease of handling suitable even to that of a 5th grader. 5 out of 5.

Memory seats, heated seats and side mirrors, adjustable suspension, sporty design, I love the design, by far my favorite ES 300, and the simplicity and sophistication of it's dash and climate controls, the in-dash, not trunk, cd changer puts it over the top.

None serious, different brakes altogether, larger rotors, new caliper design smaller single piston caliper bushings tend to wear too easily causing break pulls and uneven pad wear, AWD would be nice.

Can't Wait to buy another one!
By bwhite

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 130,000. Now has 160,000 and runs as smooth as ever. Very fast and responsive, use synthetic oil for the engine due to the mileage. It still attracts a lot of attention. A little snug for me at 6'2". Highly recommend it. I would absolutely buy another one.

Driving speed, smooth exterior, very responsive engine.

Could be a litte wider with more headroom for taller drivers. Otherwise, wouldn't change a thing. Also, should come with a cd player.

Still Running Strong
By wilsonmd

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

We've had our car for almost 6 years now. It currently has 140,000 miles on it and I am happy to say they have been carefree miles! We haven't had to do anything to this car (other than normal maintenance)! It still rides smooth and quiet!

We live in the snowy mountains of Utah and more than once, the traction control has saved us.

Did not come standard with cd player.