Used 1997 Lexus ES 300 Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Lexus ES 300

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (50 reviews )

win win
By rghouse

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I have yet to be disappointed with a vehicle made by Toyota and this car is no exception.
Purchased with 150K 4 years ago from original owner, now has 197K. The only thing to go wrong since purchase is the driver door out side handle became non-functional after the clip inside the door broke. It was $1.75, but I had to take the door apart to fix it. I use synthetic oil (previous owners used synthetic also) every 10k miles and the oil is still golden brown after one years worth of driving. My only complaint is when the family goes on a trip the rear sags and sometimes the tires scrape (they are slightly oversized vs stock b/c of BBS rims). Awesome stock stereo,very comfortable n dependable

stereo, acceleration, dependability, comfort

rear suspension beefed up

Best Car Ever!
By packagemaster

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I bought a '97 in spring of 06, with 150k miles already on it.
I travel 110 miles per day, and I wanted a reliable comfortable, but cheap ride. Because of the miles, I got mine cheap.
Fast forward, 2011.

Now the car has 330k miles, and let me tell you, this car has been rock solid. This is list of everything I did for the car. (from my log book)

1 set of tires.
2 batteries.
8 sets of wiper blades.
Oil change every 6-8k miles. (that's right)
4 air filters.
2 windshields. (rocks fly in Interstate)
Front and rear Struts.
2 sets of brake pads for front, 1 set in back, 1 set of front rotors.
6 Headlight bulbs..

I'm looking forward to the next 180k miles.
I know this car will make it.

At 330k miles, everything in car works... heated seats, CD changer... about the only thing that went bad is the radio lights started to die one by one. RELIABILITY, COMFORT, decent gas mileage (I get 30 MPH, 80% highway)... Same timing belt for at least 180k miles, same transmission fluid... I know I might be pushing it, but it keeps on going! I've read up on reports on newer cars, and looks like the newer isn't necessarily better. When (more like 'if') this Lexus dies, I will be buying 2001 model (same body style... newer ones are crap) I can go drop 40k+ on a new one. But why? I only paid 5400$ for this one, 5 years ago. That's slightly more than the taxes you pay on a new one.

I love the quality materials they used on this, soft to the eye, soft to the touch, but got just enough power when need it. It rides soft, quiet, etc etc.. perfect vehicle for HWY traveling. I only wish Lexus/Toyota (and Acura/Honda) didn't have to cut corners on new cars... the new cars don't measure up to the late 90's quality.

Love my Lexy
By Love my Lexy

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I bought my ES300 about 4 years ago with 92k. I have not had to do anything more than the usual upkeep and I now have over 275k. Yes, she is getting tired but her ride and style does not compare to any other car on the road. Even the newer style ES300 is smaller and not as comfortable as this one. I previously had the 95 ES 300 with 268k when it was totaled in 2006.

I love the ride and comfort. Great pick up.

The cup holders are the worst.

The best car you can get for under 5K
By Brian

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I Purchased this car in June of 2009 and it had 105k miles. It is now at 120k miles and runs great. I have never had to take it to the shop for anything other than maintenance. It is very comfortable and reliable. This is the 3rd Lexus in my family. My mother has had an IS and a RX hybrid. all great cars. It has a good amount of features. The gas mileage is ok for a V6. I get 19 combined and I have gotten 28 on a road trip averaging 75 mph. I would highly recommend this car. It is very solid, I never have to worry about my car breaking down. As a college student, I can't afford to pay for costly repairs. This car has Toyota reliability. I think this car will go for another 100k miles easily!

I like the power of the V6 when you need it. The leather seats with driver memory are nice, The sunroof, 6cd changer in the glove box and the Auto a/c. Reliability is great!

The cup holders are a joke! Seeing that this car is over 13 years old I'm sure Lexus addressed most of the issues.

Money well spent!
By Singh

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I was looking for a reliable car for around $5000. Took my own sweet time to drive a lot of cars, check there edmunds.com reviews. Fell in love the very first time I drove this car, it was just great. Lot of power, space and comfort. Fuel economy is around 15 mpg in city but on highway its close to 30 mpg. I feel safe inside the car even while driving it even at high speed.

Leather seats, adjustable steering and seats.

Fuel economy, In-dash player.