Used 2006 Land Rover Range Rover SUV Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Land Rover Range Rover SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Range Rover model:

Best Car Ever Owned
By RR Lover

2006 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned many cars including Porsche, Mercedes, and BMW. Although these were all great vehicles, I never liked any as much as this Range Rover. It has the perfect combination of luxury, class, smooth and solid ride, power, sturdiness, quiet cabin, rides high, family size, storage, safety, etc., etc., etc. Couldn't ask for more... At 110k and going strong, luckily, I have had very few problems with this RR.

Bought this junk to prove my daughter wrong 4/8/17
By mike Marshall

2006 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Admittedly bought this 2006 RR with 135K miles in mint condition, 2 owners, proper maintenance ONLY because my 17 year old daughter is a car lover like her dad but knew RR's were horrible in quality and reliability and very expensive to work on. So, against my better judgement bought this RR. Within the first 2 weeks one of the front air suspension struts blew out. Cost $800 to repair. Basic oil change was $150. Front brakes due for replacement but British mechanic says CANNOT TURN RR ROTORS SO ONLY NEW ONES AVAILABLE. Got suspicious of this mechanic so took to my regular mechanic who simply put on after market brake pads, but still cost way less (still $250) than the $800 the "British Mechanic" repair shop was trying to soak me for. Rear view camera works about 25% of the time. SUV sits up so high with no running boards or handles on front pillar that very difficult to get in or out for us shorter people and puts heavy wear and tear on sides of both front seats creating upholstry tears and paint wearing off plastic trim parts that are very cheaply made. Even the rubber key was so worn it barely worked=poor design and material usage and they are $400 to buy and have programmed! After 2 weeks and $1000 in repairs with more to come on those expensive air bags suspension ($800 PER wheel!) I decided to sell it. After driving a 2001 Lincoln Navigator which was of average quality, I would choose the Lincoln for less expensive repairs for both labor and parts. I myself bought a 2008 Infiniti QX56 SUV with 119K miles and cannot say enough good things about this SUV in EVERY category. It is a FAR superior SUV to the RR in EVERY way (and all others that I tested/researched). The RR's are currently the "cool SUV" to drive thus my young daughter's lust for it but knew it was going to be a mistake as is the case with most English cars. (owned a 99 Jag XJ8 for 5 years=huge repair bills done all at under 69K miles!) Owned an 86 Bentley Mulsanne for a year just for fun but just after one minor repair it costs $2000, so got that out of my car loving system. English make some beautiful cars but some of the most unreliable and expensive to work on. Got disgusted with American cars as well despite trying to "be American, buy American" but quality still not where it should be at any of the Big 3. Finally broke down and bought a Japanese car, something I swore I'd never do as they have always been so UGLY but many have finally figured out how to actually make a car look nice looking. If you want a really nice HUGE comfortable, powerful, high tech SUV. Def. try the Infiniti QX56 with almost 400 ft lbs of torque it does zero to 60 in 7 seconds, rides like a big Cadillac sedan in the comfort area and lots of room for hauling things when needed. Even my 17 year old daughter loves it, esp. with the technology upgrade package (BOSE, Nav, rear view camera, rear entertainment) and the roar of the factory exhaust is quite nice as well. One of the nicest cars I've ever owned and have had almost 100 cars over the years. Stay away from RR's unless you want to spend a lot of time at the repair shop spending ungodly amounts of repair money. Heck, I don't even like the looks of it! Too top heavy on windows making it look like a "green house on wheels" and interior is WAY to small for serious Costco trips, minimal storage, many cheap parts at dash/console areas as well, esp for the high price that is charged when new. When driving it, it reminded me of driving something out of the 80's. Very outdated. Power is just average, esp. when compared to my former Lincoln Navigator and ESP. the Infiniti. And note** your car insurance will increase significantly compared to other same year or older SUV's like Lincoln Navigator being that RR's are so expensive to repair. I got a $600/yr increase in premiums "just because it was a RR" according to my AAA rep. Sold the RR within 3 weeks just to save my money and sanity! "It pays to be cool" but I ain't no fool! Sold the RR and got her an 2007 Infiniti FX35 which is also far superior to the RR in every way except the view height of sitting high in the RR.

My second 06 rover
By e owen

2006 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned two of these cars in the last 10 years, about 3-4 years each and both experiences were wonderful! The first had a failed suspension at about 95k mile and that was the worst thing to happen to either. Finding an independent mechanic that understands these cars is key to maintaining them economically ... I purchased the first off a three year lease with about 25k miles and drove it to 100k. I paid 34,000 and sold it four years later for 19k. The second had 60k miles, paid 21,000 and it currently has 130k miles. If I sell it for 8000.00, and add all the maintenance cost and depreciation, my total cost of ownership not including fuel and insurance will be under 430.00 per month or .26 per mile. I think these are great numbers for any car let alone a high end lux mobile... My daughters Prius has not done as well ( but way better on gas). If I "just got lucky", I got lucky twice since my first 06 had similar numbers even with the suspension fix. I also averaged just over 20 mpg on the highway! I love these cars... Ive also owned a 1990, 95 Range Rover (really bad) a 2001 disco and a 2005 sport (both bought new) and I can say that the 06 range rover is by far the best of the lot from my experience, and one of the best vehicles I've owned (136 and counting).

Money pit
By Gem Elliott

2006 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

These types are only good for one thing and that's leasing. Make sure to get out of this vehicle by the time the warranty is up. The engine works well but all of the peripherals along with electronics are suspect. Also the air suspension will fail around 80K miles. The dealer freely admits to this. Each corner is $1500 to repair. So you'll end up spending about $6,000 on all for corners at some point. Then you will most likely get the dreaded steering column lockout. This is actually a safety feature that eventually craps out. Replacing this unit with a new one is $6,000. If you're smart you can get a salvage unit for around $1200 and then spend another $500-700 on installation or try doing it yourself. Of course that's if you get one that works to begin with. The car's electronics are also very temperature dependent. Here in Chicago it suffers from many cold related ailments. The rear trunk section will get loose and will need to be rebuilt at some point before 100K miles.

The Dichotomy of Land
By Justin Woodall

2006 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

You'll love it, & probably buy it, for the obvious reasons; style, class, comfort, luxury, utility, & the jealousy factor. But, in specific the leather, info touch screen, Harmon-Kardon stereo, & all options of the luxury interior package (an absolute must).

You will grow to love the driveability, ride, & handling. If you have the guts to try it, being so expensive, the off road capability of the Range Rover is amazing. I sell ranches in Texas. I can sell properties that others can't in my Rover. Turn the suspension nob & lift the Rover 3 inches. It will now traverse the most challenging terrain with ease, & without feeling like it. It's the love child of a Jeep & a Mercedes sedan.

You will HATE the repair bills! In 4 years or so, both front airbags failed (although, I love the feature) rendering it undriveable, a door handle broke, sun roof jammed, & the nav map stopped working (I just ejected the disc!).

I suggest finding a expert Land Rover guy near you (NOT THE DEALER!). The dealer wanted $3k for each airbag, $1k for the door, $1k for Sun roof, & $500 for the nav map, that's $8,500! It still cost me $3k with my non-dealer guy.

The 255 55 R19 tires are very expensive & the selection sucks. Also, it has the most expensive battery I've ever seen.

Overall, the 2006 Range Rover HSE is an awesome vehicle. Just remember, if you buy one be prepared to drop $5k for repairs at anytime.