Used 2005 Land Rover Range Rover Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Land Rover Range Rover

HSE 4.4L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (37 reviews )

Looks are great but maintenance is poor
By T Joseph

2005 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased this vehicle in 07, warranty was still on the vehicle. Every since 07 I can't even keep track of how many times this SUV has been in the service dept. I don't know if it's the manufacturer or the technicians that work at the dealership. on 3 different occasions I picked up the car and had to bring it back in less than an hour and it was always something different. pls purchase extended warranty if you plan on buying. Extremely poor maintenance.

exterior is the bomb and you look good in this SUV but again maintenance is poor.

Create this vehicle with better MPG and less maintenance issues and this will be the perfect SUV.

Taking a Risk
By mscolej

2005 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I took a bit of a risk on this one, 2005 RR with 90K, but I got such a great deal it was in such great shape that I could not refuse. I have always admired these trucks and the ride is awesome. I did get a warranty at a reasonable cost from warranties4wheels. The 2005 seems to be put together better that the 03's and 04's I had driven and it was the last to have the BMW engine. I have not seen any of the major issues or cost that others have seen and fingers crossed hopefully I won't the good news is it was such a good deal that I could spend a little and not be pissed.

ride, power and comfort

Don't believe the (negative) hype
By DaTB

2005 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this truck a few years ago as a b-day present to replace my husband's aging '01 RR 4.6 HSE. After buying several brand new and slightly used cars, I decided upon a pre-owned, still-under-warranty '05 RR (which is THEE way to go since you let others pay $30k more for the same vehicle to determine if it's solid, or a lemon). And this beast is one impressive machine: it's amazingly torquey and can induce whiplash if you've got a heavy foot, it has a cavernous interior, gigantic, ultra-comfortable seats, intuitive and well laid out touch screen, insane, gale-force A/C, and unsurpassed build integrity. But, it is anemic at speeds above 30mp & could use a few more tech features. Love it!

Luxury of a 7-series. Insane low speed engine torque. Unsurpassed seat comfort. Tornado-esque A/C. ERGONOMICS. Look-at-me styling. Puts a smile on your face every time you climb aboard. ***Ahem*** Reliability... Peace of mind in knowing that we can ford whatever mother nature has to throw our way.

Not enough gadgets and do-dads to compete with its European competitors - come on, no auxiliary hook-ups for iPods or Zunes?! Needs another 50hp to pass people at speeds above 30mph. Heated steering wheels is more a suggestion than a feature. Over aggressive ventilation system - a curse and blessing

Rodeo Drive meets the Rubicon
By DaTB

2005 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

We traded in our 2001 Range Rover for a newer model & we found that certified pre-owned is THEE way to go: you have the vehicle's service history to see if it's a lemon, & we got roughly $35k off the original sticker price. HUGE comfotable seats, both front and back. The height of the driving position is captivating because you feel so in control of not only the vehicle, but all those around you as well. Integration of center console with the dash and the rest of the vehicle is beautiful. Super torquey engine that pins you to your seat but struggles at higher RPMs to haul this monster. This truck rides with more refinement than our previous '02 745i! Storage is ENORMOUS! Highly recommended!

Best duality of beauty and masculinity on the market; Seat comfort that trumps our 745i; Amazingly torquey engine that pins you to the ridiculously comfortable seats; superior ergonomics that blend artistry with function; driving position makes you feel as if you're on an Urban Safari; poweful vents

No individual CD player; no automatic lift-gate at this price, the steering wheel heater functions towards lukewarm at best, the A/C is way too aggressive and difficult to coax into a perfect temperature; the sport mode is merely a suggestion; no automatic liftgate. Hope it's dependable!

Quality
By Range owner

2005 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased new 2005 Range Rover in 12 2004. Differential broke at 45k miles. Broke again out of warrant at 65k miles. At 70k miles suspension shot. Differential cost 3k. Suspension 2k, but will not fix, just add springs and not use vehicle suspension. Service out of warranty is awful.

None