Used 2003 Land Rover Range Rover Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Range Rover

HSE 4.4L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (94 reviews )

Get your wallet ready
By READY, SET, STOPPPP!

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned this truck for 2.5 yrs and yr 1 was great, not in the shop at all. But year 2 all hell broke, air shocks 1300 each, transmission 7500, radiator overflow 200, the navigation system is almost useless. I would be willing to pay more money for this truck if it were reliable but it isn’t! The dealership that I take it to keeps it for 2 to 3 months when in for service. Truck looks great and drives like a dream when working and repairs are very expensive for everything, I have seen the revues on this truck and I would bet money that every person on here that has had this truck over a year has many horror stories to tell so if you gotta have one get the warranty!

looks, ride comfort, the go anywhere capability, the respect you get from having one! and its the #1 truck in the world

The transmission should make it at least 120,000 miles without being replaced, the navigation system, the truck should simply be dependable and it isn’t! The worst thing a vehicle could ever do is leave you stranded on the highway and this truck has done it to me and will do it to you

Have your money right
By Hario

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Buy this car if you absolutely have to have it! It will be costly, I replaced the trans at 63,000 miles, 8 grand, the air shocks at 70,000 mi, 3 grand. this car stays in the shop so much I might put 5 to 6000 miles on it a year you can get the parts cheap online but don't buy this vehicle without a warranty! It's not if this car will give you problems, it's when it gives you problems, and they all will be costly, nothing under $1000.

It is the best looking, best riding vehicle out there, it rides better than my conv Jag and my wife's 745li

The reliability on this car,The transmission shouldn't go bad so soon, the coolant overflow is plastic and it will leak at some point, the air shocks should last longer and be less expensive, service at the dealer could take months! Land Rover really doesn't take pride in there product!

don't purchase... read on
By jay

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I've had my Range Rover for 5 years now, and have had nothing but problems for the last 2 years. It's to the point I'm just waiting to see what will break next. Air Suspension went out last month, Steering column adjustment went out last week. Various exterior pieces - left headlamp assembly, side air vent, and tag light are all falling off or the plastic holding it together has broken. Oh yea, reservoir tank cracked 3 months ago and the front end differential broke last year. My family is actually afraid to drive the thing for fear of when it will break down again ( the differential went out on vacation to TN from FL., Don't expect Range Rover to fix out of warranty - 5 yrs. for $80000

the look

quality, reliability, & manufacturers support!

Overpriced/Unreliable
By Jeffrey Thompson

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

When I purchased this vehicle it had only 8k miles...I love the way the car looks but since my purchase it has been one nightmare after another..I've had to make repairs almost every month..It has many design flows. After five years of owning it I would have to say I will never buy another RR. It is over-priced and over-rated...I made my final payment on it in December..Today is January 20th, I am picking it up from the shop. The cost this time was $5500.00. I hate I bought this vehicle..

Exterior Design..Sound System

RR should make a more reliable vehicle. Stop using cheap plastic materials on the interior. Again it is overpriced and not reliable.

Fantastic Car, but have a warranty
By RC

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I love the RR, will likely buy another. My advice is always have a warranty (factory) because they are expensive to fix. I've had some routine problems that were very expensive to fix on this car (two examples are the alternator and starter).

buy the stereo for a 2005+ and you get the ipod connection by running a simple plug wire from the back under the carpet to the front seat.