Used 2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV

View reviews for a specific Range Rover model:

Luxury, I think NOT!
By Michael

2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

So after owning two Acuras, I stepped down apparently into a Range Rover. Problems: Handle broke off when opening hood, plastic. Door handles breaking off, car's suspension deflates in the cold, takes 15 minutes to get it up. A/C didn't work well in summer, screen went out. DVD player doesn't work now, CD player doesn't work, back lights went out and bulbs don't fix it. Back lid won't stay up, pieces break off of this car constantly. Hood thinks it's open when it's not, key fab broke, and door locks don't work right. Sometimes car won't start and give reason why. I've spent about 3,000 on this car in less than 8 months (about 1/3 what I paid for the car in first place. FUN TIMES!

12 m/p/g on Supreme, yippee

Have designers hired from Toyota and Honda start building this piece of crap luxury vehicle. Recall all the things that SO MANY people complain about, rather than take us for $140/hr at the dealership on repairs required to be done by YOUR mechanics with their special computer!

Great vehicle
By Maryland

2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this Rover certified used with 20K miles on it in 2003. We have used it ever since, and have put 51K more miles on it. We had issues with the air suspension (replaced under warranty) and the radio (an amp blew) but otherwise the Rover has been rock solid. We get a solid 17mph, which I consider fine given the size of the Rover.

Air suspension ride, confidence it inspires to go anywhere, powerful V8

Power windows are "British" (front to back, controls seem reversed to an American user).

Pretty but Terrible Quality
By cmh

2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We fell in love with the drive and look of the car, but our love quickly faded when everything started to breakdown and cost a fortune to fix (not to mention that the Land Rover repair shops are so overbooked because these cars are lemons-- most places can't even look at the car for a week they're so booked up). Electrical system is a disaster. 3 times the car just died on me while driving my kids in our "safe" SUV. In the last month alone I have taken my car in 3 times for various major problems-- Electrical failure, alternater failure and hydraulic failure. It looks cool, but don't be fooled!

The roominess and look of the car. It also handles great in rain and snow.

Electrical system is a mess. There are too many problems all around with the upkeep. This car is meant for people who can afford to have their car constantly in the shop.

4.6 vogue
By ash

2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

A great vehicle which I have had converted to lpg. I have added a sport exhaust so that it sounds like a proper v8. Never had any problems since purchase in March of 2007. Electric seats don't work and the rear wash has died but the enjoyment I get when I drive this superb piece of machinery far out weighs these trivial problems. Haven't been off road yet, one day soon i hope.

Be Prepared
By Tiffany

2001 Land Rover Range Rover SUV 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I really like the uniqueness of the Range Rover--the style is superb if you like to stand out. But BE PREPARED for the maintenance costs-- they will kill your pocket--average visit to the dealership is about $2000- -and believe me this truck can go frequently of it wants to--the annual checkups range from about $1300-$1100 and are done every 15000 miles and there is always something extra to be done while in the shop. Remember to get spare keys--all keys are made in England and may take from days to months to get here.

I luv the air suspension system and the body style--those were the sellers

I think all techs should have a refresher course on the Range rover