Used 2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV

View reviews for a specific LR2 model:

Surprised over-all; very pleased.
By Dave

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased an LR2 with a little trepidation due to the lack of reliability expressed by media auto sources. However, the brand has one of the highest loyalty bases among car owners, so they must be doing something right. I purchased it primarily due to the smaller size and potential economic advantages of a smaller SUV. I have been pleasantly surprised by the vehicle. The mileage is outstanding for an all-wheel drive SUV. I average almost 20 mpg in mostly city driving (Dallas area, and get 23+ on the highway. The ride is not at all typical of a short wheel base SUV. It is extremely comfortable while still giving plenty of control on the road. Fun to drive, and will take me anywhere!

Great gas mileage, and exemplary road manners with excellent control. Extremely comfortable ride for a small SUV that will go damn-near anywhere. It's a good-looking little vehicle. As for reliability, no problems. After all, it has a Volvo engine, a German "Z" transmission, and a great heritage.

A redesigned console with storage would be nice. Put a solid sliding cover on the moon roof. Give it a lift- up rear tailgate window for hauling versitility, like the LR Sport. Tech. pkg. overpriced. Buy a GPS w/Bluetooth for much less. Heavy vehicle; needs bigger brakes for longer pad/rotor life.

Sorry I did not buy another BMW
By Chris

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My BMW X5 was coming off of lease and I decided to be practical and buy an LR2 - a 2008 "leftover". I previously owned a Discovery and a Range Rover (no problems with these). After 650 miles, the LR2 started to burn oil. The dealer's shop said they could not find the problem. After 1700 miles it started to burn oil again. The car is in the shop for a week as they take the engine apart to find out why it's burning oil. Not happy with this lemon. My BMW has 56000 (3 years old) and NO problems ever. I have opened a case with LR and have demanded they take the car back. So much for being practical!

Visibility and simplicity

Test your cars so people don't get stuck with lemons!

Great choice over BMW, Acura, Mercedes
By Daniel

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I get bored with cars quite often, but my LR2 is staying for another couple of years with me. I love the LR2. Performance: Coming from a V8 Mercedes(CLS) just prior to purchasing LR2, I was worried I wouldn't be happy with the performance and the ride. Acceleration could be better, but it has plenty of torque for merging on to fast traffic. Ride: LR2 offers a good mix of comfortable ride and capability. I go to Sierra Nevada often during winter, and AWD system performs very well. Off-road capability is also outstanding for a car this size. Handling: Fun! A bit of oversteering around the sharp corners, but it's still great. Quality: Rivals other luxury brands (BMW, Mercedes, etc.)

Styling is great. One of the best Nav system seen so far, compared to Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and Audi. Fast re-calculation, flash-based graphic is great! Rivals Infiniti's Nav. Decent cargo space but trunk could be extended just a few inches more with minimal impact on weight. 5year free maintenance.

Fuel economy could be optimized a little. Bit of spirited daily driving gets me about 18mpg in mostly city driving. I've seen up to 24mpg on freeways. Features such as HomeLink should be standard for this price range. Seems odd to see that it's not even offered.

Love the car, but
By Russ

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

We bought the car in Oct 07 fully loaded. We have had the car in the shop 13 different time to repair things like sensors, temp sensor, tire pressure sensor, occupancy sensor on passenger seat (still not working right). We have had many problems with the bluetooth. They put a new module and microphone (still not working right). Navigation problem, not to mention weather stripping and other trim parts replaced. Front drivers seat was replaced after leather cracked. Front windshield had a stress fracture that they replaced. The car has been in the shop the last 5 days they are saying it needs a fuel pump and maybe more. not sure.

Love the style the drive. Really do love the car just wish everything would work right.

love my LR2
By gerd Budden

2008 Land Rover LR2 SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I leased the car Sept 07 and drive about 15k a year. We had a lot of snow this winter in Oregon. the 4-wheel drive system is outstanding. often I was the only driver in my family, could go everywhere. there are no blind spots, the finishing is superb. this is a quality car that pleases. I took some trips and got up to 26.9 miles on the freeway. I give it a 10

The in-line 6 cylinder engine has plenty of power. Haldex coupling system instantly transfers power from side to side, front to rear. Navigation and bluetooth work easy and intuitive. Sound system great.

Try to add a diesel engine into the mix.