Used 2008 Land Rover LR2 Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Land Rover LR2

View reviews for a specific LR2 model:

LR-2, a great vehicle for all occasions!
By Fred

2008 Land Rover LR2 SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Car is a bargain for the money. Lots of thought went into it, lots of standard equipment. Engine is good, not overly robust, but good. Road characteristics are great and car is quiet. Seating position is very good. HVAC system is excellent. Car should go a long way to erase old stereotypes of Land Rovers. Liked the fact that Ford owned company, don't know how the new owner, TATA will favor. High-intensity headlight option package is terrific, worth the money.

Like all the standard features, like build quality, like in-line 6 Volvo engine. Like the interior materials. Like the warranty. Like the handling of the vehicle, off-road characteristics are tremendous. Like the fact that Ford put a lot of their product and engineering into the vehicle.

Needs homelink and a left foot dead pedal, needs a better latch mechanism on retractable sunscreen. Don't like the emergency driver-door entry key system or the requirement for premium fuel. Could use a "real" center storage compartment. Nav system should be a single option W/O tech package.

Love my LR2
By Nick Soo

2008 Land Rover LR2 SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I got my LR2 as a winter car last October. I was well aware of Land Rover's past reliability problems. I have to say that I love my LR2. Some claim it has poor performance for a luxury SUV, but I think it does fine. I have a G35 coupe as well, and I don't think the LR2 is slow for an SUV, and I don't expect it to be a race car. Overall, it's a great ride for someone who wants a very comfortable plush smaller SUV with eye-catching style and lots of technological bells and whistles without paying a fortune. If you want a full-size SUV, it'll disappoint. If you want a car-like SUV, probably not for you. But if you want an SUV for winter driving and occasional trips, the LR2 rocks

I absolutely love the puddle lights that illuminate under the mirrors when you unlock the car. My other favorites have to be the bluetooth, which works great with my Verizon Moto RAZR, the automatic wipers and headlights, and the phenominal sound system. The dual sunroofs are nice too

I only have one complaint: fuel economy. It's not setting any records here. I will admit, for a mid/small SUV, it is quite heavy, and I'm sure that contributes to the low MPG.

From an X5 to LR2
By horsedoctor

2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Coming from an 03 BMW X5 makes it difficult to give this vehicle perfect marks in any departement. But a new X5 with similar options was well over 50K - my loaded LR2 was purchased for under 35K and as usual in life: you often get what you pay for. The layout and the interior design gets high marks-as well as comfortable seats and nice features such as satellite radio, heated windshield and seats, sport drive feature, security of full time all wheel drive - all while approaching 24mpg hwy and I'm getting 19mpg combined. The storage areas are a bit lacking and I would have rather had a nice center armrest with more storage below it than the drop down ones. Overall this is a great SUV.

Dual sunroof, exterior design - does not look like every other suv out there, heated windshield (praying for no rock chips), stereo system, gas mileage, xenon headlights, sport drive.

More interior storage space, homelink, a bit better fit and finish (but again I'm coming from an X5) and the steering needs to be addressed. Oversteer is somewhat bothersome. Otherwise if you are looking for a compact SUV under 35K put it the LR2 on your list.

Stylish Beast
By Mike J

2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

The best looking crossover out there, with tons of safety features- in the safety department, second to none. Everyone thinks it's a Range, but it's half the price and does the trick for me. I've had it for over a month and still love getting inside to drive every day.

Best feature: the engine. Drives like a sports car, with an engine that revs and accelerates smoothly. Most people can't believe they are in an SUV/CUV when I accelerate. Notable: Off-road capability, dual moonroof, unbelievable audio system (and I don't even have the deluxe audio system)

Some might say fuel economy, but I think the 16/23 is pretty good for this vehicle. Plus, the price is so low that it's worth it to pay a little extra for gas!

Great CUV with Offroad Capability
By BAM

2008 Land Rover LR2 HSE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is a great crossover SUV, maintains offroad capability while still offering a very nice onroad experience. I spent quite a bit of time comparing to RDX and X3 and test driving each, and disagree with the Edmunds review about "workaday" interior with the LR2 compared to the X3. The seats are great and the interior is sharp too. Acceleration won't be winning any races, but it's just fine for what it needs, I never feel like the engine is straining at any speed. Although the cargo space is listed as lower than the X3, it didn't really seem so after taking a look inside. I would definitely recommend this car to a friend.

Adaptive headlights, cold climate package, smooth ride, very comfortable driver's seat.

Another mpg or 2 would be nice as well bigger storage compartments and an included roof rack.