Used 2008 Land Rover LR2 Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific LR2 model:

2.2 DIESEL LR2 but not in the USA
By Mr. B

2008 Land Rover LR2 SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My wife was transfered for temporary assignment in England last year and was provided a car expense fund. She chose a "DIESEL" LR2 (Freelander 2) that is available everywhere in the world except the USA. It is a 2.2 liter common rail, turbo charged unit with an automatic transmission. On a number of trips we took into mainland Europe, we averaged low to mid 30 MPG on the highway and low 20 MPG in city driving. The build quality was excellent and durability was bullet- proof. And the MPG was a shocker! Note: Fuel prices in Europe are considerably higher. She got a great small/mid-sized SUV with all the creature comforts - loaded - for significantly less money compared to BMW or Mercedes.

Comfortable, command seating especially for the driver. Every bit was top-notch. Bullet-proof operation. GREAT gas mileage for the diesel! (HELLO Land Rover USA - If you read this your missing the boat on this great little diesel engine in the States). HID lighting and Sat-Nav for Europe was superb.

If Land Rover would bring the LR2 with a diesel option to the USA (known as the Freelander 2 everywhere else), they would corner the market. Hopefully, Tata Motors will look at providing this as an option in North America. As of this, I will probably purchase a used Mercedes Benz M class 320 CDI.

Dont Buy!!
By caroline shek

2008 Land Rover LR2 SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is my second LR2--the first one (brand new) needed a transmission overhaul after 2 weeks. They gave me another one that has overheated twice. Just this past weekend, it overheated while I was driving and smoke began coming out of the hood. Stay away from this car! Its unsafe and unpredictable.

Reliability, safety. Make it work

1 year and going strong
By Rick

2008 Land Rover LR2 SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my Tambora Flame LR2 for just over 1 year now. I have had no problems with my vehicle at all. I still get lots of positive comments about its looks. The only time my vehicle has been in the shop has been for scheduled maintenance and 1 moonroof recall. I am still impressed with all the standard equipment for the price and still very impressed with the ride and comfort for a compact SUV.

Headlights, dual moonroofs, dash layout, sound system

Needs standard roof rack and navigation system

LR-2, a great vehicle for all occasions!
By Fred

2008 Land Rover LR2 SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Car is a bargain for the money. Lots of thought went into it, lots of standard equipment. Engine is good, not overly robust, but good. Road characteristics are great and car is quiet. Seating position is very good. HVAC system is excellent. Car should go a long way to erase old stereotypes of Land Rovers. Liked the fact that Ford owned company, don't know how the new owner, TATA will favor. High-intensity headlight option package is terrific, worth the money.

Like all the standard features, like build quality, like in-line 6 Volvo engine. Like the interior materials. Like the warranty. Like the handling of the vehicle, off-road characteristics are tremendous. Like the fact that Ford put a lot of their product and engineering into the vehicle.

Needs homelink and a left foot dead pedal, needs a better latch mechanism on retractable sunscreen. Don't like the emergency driver-door entry key system or the requirement for premium fuel. Could use a "real" center storage compartment. Nav system should be a single option W/O tech package.

Love my LR2
By Nick Soo

2008 Land Rover LR2 SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I got my LR2 as a winter car last October. I was well aware of Land Rover's past reliability problems. I have to say that I love my LR2. Some claim it has poor performance for a luxury SUV, but I think it does fine. I have a G35 coupe as well, and I don't think the LR2 is slow for an SUV, and I don't expect it to be a race car. Overall, it's a great ride for someone who wants a very comfortable plush smaller SUV with eye-catching style and lots of technological bells and whistles without paying a fortune. If you want a full-size SUV, it'll disappoint. If you want a car-like SUV, probably not for you. But if you want an SUV for winter driving and occasional trips, the LR2 rocks

I absolutely love the puddle lights that illuminate under the mirrors when you unlock the car. My other favorites have to be the bluetooth, which works great with my Verizon Moto RAZR, the automatic wipers and headlights, and the phenominal sound system. The dual sunroofs are nice too

I only have one complaint: fuel economy. It's not setting any records here. I will admit, for a mid/small SUV, it is quite heavy, and I'm sure that contributes to the low MPG.