Used 2003 Land Rover Freelander Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Freelander

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Too many whiners...
By Hippoman

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

A number of people have had drivetrain problems with this truck but I've had none. There are some things that could have been built with a little more quality just like about anything else on the market. This is a European vehice, not a Ford, GM, or anything else people expect to change the oil every 25K miles and run it to death. It takes a certain amount of care and maintenence. If you want to drive a LR it's going to cost you no matter what model you buy. If you just want a sporty SUV to take your kids to school in, buy a Jeep.

It will go many places other "SUV's" couldn't begin to. It has a very tight suspension and is the best driving vehicle I've ever owned

It would just be nice to see the cost of replacement parts/service come down a little.

Very disappointing
By My headache is gone!

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

LR had a poorly build entry level SUV. Hard to attract current owners to move up to high end models. It eats up brake quickly. Cost almost $600 to change brake pads and rotars every 10K miles. V6 engine is weak and doesn't have any pick up power. Coolant leak even after the dealership fixed twice. Extremely high maintenance cost for a SUV/car that costs only mid $20K. When we purchased the Freelander, dealer was rude since it was the cheapest model out of all the LR models. The value depreciates quickly. After having it for 4 years, I finally sold it.

Handles well in rough weather

brakes, reliability, A/C, service

I don't think it's luck
By happyhippo

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I thought I'd give my two cents on this SUV. I've had this thing for 4 years and at 52000 miles I've had very few problems. I think you here more from people that do than from people that don't and I think this FL is getting a bad rap. It's a european vehicle not a chevy or a ford. It takes a little more care and driver knowledge than US cars for sure. Knowing how to drive and what to listen for mostly. I'll admit there are apparently some inferior parts in some of these trucks and it doesn't sound like Land Rover NA is concerned at all about consumer relations. That being said, I've loved this SUV from day one and intend to keep it for quite a while yet. BTW luck is almost never on my side.

I love the way this thing handles and rides. Tight, responsive and smooth on the freeway. Interior is quite comfortable on long rides depsite it's 'plain jane' look.

LRNA needs to step up and take care of there consumer base better as far as repairs and such or they won't last too much longer. I've never had any problems with the dealership on any warranty service or anything, but service after the warranty is what I believe is killing consumer confidence in LR.

Love My Freelander!
By LoveMyRover

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had mine for 4 years and have not had any problems with the engine or any of the technical stuff (power windows, etc). I do a lot of trail blazing and this car has gotten me places other SUVs can't (or won't) go. While I feel bad for those who have obviously gotten cars with factory defects, don't let that deter you from buying this very fun car!

Everything!

Ummmm, can't think of any!

The little Rover
By biz816

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

It has never broke down on me yet, but I have been to the dealer for a lot of little stuff (engine lights, window, wipers, speakers). Overall I love the car it drives great, and looks amazing. I can't complain about the problems I have had, since I have driven hard in the past 3.5 years. I love the Rover line and plan to buy again another rover soon.

Back window rolls down, radio/cruise controls on steering wheel. Interior/exterior design. Very comfortable driving.

Increase realiabilty of features. Offer more some more features. You pay too much for a few extras.