Used 2003 Land Rover Freelander Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Freelander

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Agree with the class action suit
By Barb Pentz

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had my car for 2 yrs, has 83000 miles on the car. The fuel pump went, upper air intake needed replaced and it too leaked coolant into the oil causing me to need a new engine. All in a 7 month period. The Land Rover dealer told me these cars are unreliable and they have this problem at least once a month. He told me to get rid of it because I will only have more problems. What does that tell you when the dealer thinks it is a piece of junk!!!

NONE!!!

Recall the products if you know the car is worthless

Another Bad Review
By Cono

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle as a certified used for my wife to drive. The vehicle was covered under warranty until 03/2008, at which point I knew it's days were limited. We've repaired a door sensor ($400) and coolant leak ($700)within the last 8 months. Luckily, we just traded the unit, but only before the vehicle needed a $700 wheel bearing repair. We were lucky. Read the other consumer reviews.

The style, heated seats, and uniqueness.

Not comfortable. Vehicle is very much like a Jeep Wrangler. The S model, despite having heated seats and auto everthing, was very bare. Here's my most notable suggestion for the Brit automakers. Design a vehicle with the pride and care that you engineered the Hurricane and Spitfire!

Worst purchase ever
By cb

2003 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my LR used with 40000 miles & thank God I bought the extended warranty! It was in the shop 18 times in 16 months-1 time it sat there for 6 months waiting for an engine that cost me 15,000 dollars! Coolant leaks coils going out window motors broken. At 44,000 miles new engine-I waited 6 mos for that one. 5 months later same problem- I needed another new engine! Out of my 18 trips to the dealer 15 were the same engine problems. The dealer bought it back as a lemon. Oh yeah-it was towed 7 of the 18 times because it didn't run. Never again will I buy a LR. Buyer beware-you will have problems!

I didn't drive it enough to have any

Learn how to make cars that do not need new engines-or have new engines available

Wish I knew
By Jholl

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I wish I would have seen these reviews before I bought the Freelander in April. I have only driven it about 5 weeks since I bought it. It has been in the shop the rest of the time. The place I bought it from wouldn't even deal with me. Neither would Land Rover. A trailing arm split in half, wish I could post pics, from a pot hole. The new problem is the fuel system. It was replaced a week ago and malfunctioned, leaving me stranded on the highway. I have seen the truck on a flatbed more than I have seen myself behind the wheel. I had to get AAA because I ran out of insurance tows. Oh yeah if an extended warranty is your thought, don't think it because LR nor anyone else will give you one.

I'll have to get back to you when I have driven it for more than a couple of weeks at a time.

Customer service, reliability, extended warranties

I'm buying American!
By uscarbuyer

2003 Land Rover Freelander SE3 2dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

My Land Rover owned me. I have never owned a vehicle that required so much maintenance. I have never off-roaded in my Land Rover, nor have I had a fender bender or accident. I purely drive on the pavement to and from work, and in town driving to the movies, dinner, etc. My car is a southern car and has only seen snow for two weeks in the almost 5 years it has owned me. I cannot recommend buying any Land Rover! Anything that goes wrong you are told it is the "British design". Brakes and batteries are expected to last 10-20K miles. I cannot remember the number of recall notices, too many to count. At times the windows won't power down. I thought I would enjoy the durability. Nope. All of the cap covers & compartment covers fall off. My drink holder spring fell out for no apparent reason. I am not tough on my car & it is literally falling apart. I will find plastic pieces on the floor & have no idea where they came from. I'm buying American!

None.

Oh, they stopped making the car. Apparently they realize that it is horrible. Too bad I was stuck with it!