Used 2002 Land Rover Freelander Consumer Reviews - 181 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Land Rover Freelander

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Don't buy
By yeahstyle1

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Looks good, fun to drive, great in the snow, but the 2.5l is a lemon. The head gasket will need to be replaced. Because of a design flaw the engine will eventually need to be replaced and LandRover does not make them any more and they are hard to find. Stay away from the 2.5L v6 engine, it is a ticking time bomb.

Great for off road

New engine and better mpg

Upside down nightmare!
By mary

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used and thought I was buying a quality car. My mechanic told me was engine was ready to go and I've been having coolant leakage. Currently owe 13,000, dealers will only give me $7,000 and I feel to guilty to sell it out right (would only get retail on it which is $10,000) knowing all of the problems these cars have. So, what do I do with this poorly made vehicle? Don't buy!

Whole interior is rusted including sunroof which makes a awful noise when I open it. So, therefore it stays closed. Anytime it rains I get a puddle on the drivers side floor.

Not A Good Purchase
By gmielke

2002 Land Rover Freelander S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car got "great" reviews by the auto magazines when I was looking to buy this car in 2002. We have had the transmission blow, which apparently Land Rover knew they should have recalled but sat silent and did nothing, then we had the brakes and air conditioning blow several times, then finally, the engine blows as I am driving it to get its annual service! We are now told that because the Freelander is no longer in production, the engine will be 'very difficult' to find and may take a month or so to locate... then Land Rover tells us that they will not pay for a new engine but will give us a $4500 "credit" towards buying a new Land Rover! Unbelievable.

Small SUV and easy to drive

Interior is spartan and not comfortable. Gas mileage is ridiculous and not acceptable. "gas smell" when driving, and all of the mechanical problems.

Don't even think about it.
By T031569

2002 Land Rover Freelander HSE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV has been nothing but a real headache. It has been serviced more times than I care to remember. You have to have deep pockets to fix anything that goes wrong on this. The transmission has given me issues, the radio was replaced twice, the rear door lock was replaced twice, traction control and service engine lights stay on, the vehicle always need rotors and brakes. One headache after another, the list just goes on and on. Rethink your decision to buy this expensive lemon.

Navigation

The whole vehicle needs to be overhauled.

Nothing but trouble
By hhr1owner

2002 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this SUV with 60k miles and now its got 65K and I had spend over 3k in repairs. The timing belts and all the components on the front of the engine. Now the fuel pump which is going to be over a thousand. It has been nothing but expensive. I wouldn't suggest this vehicle at all. Unless you got the time and money to keep in the shop. I am selling right after the fuel issue is fixed.

As far as driving the Freelander it is a nice ride and looks different from many of the other vehicles on the road today.

Recall the timing belts and the fuel pumps! Two common issues with these vehicles. If the timing belts were not replaced it would had cost over 6k for a motor.