Used 2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV Consumer Reviews - 181 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

Coolant System and Transmission
By Shirley Allen

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV S 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Transmission had to be replaced. Was still under warranty. Had to have coolant tank replaced, then thermostat replaced because of constant overheat of engine. Vehicle in shop. Dealer says engine needs replacing because of cracked engine. Coolant getting into oil? These are major problems for a vehicle with only 85000 miles and for the cost to purchase this vehicle. Also brake pad need replacing too often.

More durable transmission, longer lasting brakes and reliable cooling system.

Run, Don't Walk, Away from This Car!!
By DHall

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

We really like the look of this car and interior, but the reliability and service is the worst. This car has been nothing but problems since day 1. Service people not friendly and overcharge you on everything. Dealerships all very far away unless you live in a bigger city. Engine went out at 50,000 miles, right after lease bought out and warranty up conveniently. Brakes suddenly went out with no warning and ruined the rotors right away. Heater never worked right and sunroof broken. NEVER AGAIN will I step foot on a Land Rover lot or recommend them to someone else. I wouldn't want someone else to be stuck like us. Run away fast!!

exterior and interior design

Make sure a vehicle works before you put it out on the market!!

BRITS REVENGE FOR THE REVOLUTION
By R H B

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got this vehicle for a good price but I still kick myself for not buying a CRV. The sunroof was replaced twice, brakes were replaced twice, and now the transmission is gone, BUT we have an extended warranty. One note on the front brakes, I am trying the Powerstop brakes and rotors, and I'm hoping that will fix that problem. Overall Land Rover of Albuquerque has treated me good, and honored all warranty work. Land Rover of Albuquerque also helped out with a rental, but it's sad when my wife thinks a Pontiac Vibe is better then the Land Rover....

Style

Better workmanship...

I regret buying this car
By Nela Alvarez-Sotomay

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I always wonder if it's going to work when I start it. Things that have gone wrong with this vehicle are: New Brakes (twice @ $800), Wipers, Air Bags, Fuel line, Radio

The many cup holders

All of the above.

Fun Car with Some Issues
By egullsfan

2002 Land Rover Freelander SUV SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this Freelander almost a year and I love it. It is fun to drive, great in snow and mud, and doesn't look like every other small SUV. It is not as reliable as say a CRV (my wife's car) though. We have had no problems with the brakes so far (I put 10K since buying it used). The parts replaced so far though (under warranty at no cost) have been the rear window switch, driver's door lock, thermostat, coolant reservoir. Without a warranty that is $1200 worth of work. I like the fact that this SUV is faster and more fun than our CRV, but the gas mileage pales in comparison (I get 18-20). When the extended warranty runs out, I'll sell this car. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy.

Heated seats, raised seats, performance in mud and snow (best I've ever driven)

Electrical, gas mileage, and seems like they could get more power out of that V6. It sounds like it is about to launch when you hit the gas, but then acceleration is only a bit more than CRV