Used 2004 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Land Rover Discovery

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Wish I would have stayed with Nissan
By Zachary

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my Disco because my father has owned one since 1995 and has had very good luck with it. So when I finally got the means to afford a disco I purchased my 2004. The first issue I had was the tranny coolant line went and left me stranded 6 hours into a road trip. Now I'm also having issues with flooded floor boards after car washes and AC usage on very hot days. The thing's a gas pig and has a rear differential leak and maybe and engine leak. I had my oil replaced a month ago and had to add a quart of oil to the engine. Is this normal I would hope not. Over all I'm thinking of taking a hit and purchasing another Pathfinder.

Styling and interior even with some of its downfalls. It's very good off road and in snow conditions.

Redesign the AC and exterior drain holes and improve gas mileage.

Great Vehicle
By spider348

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my third Disco and I am very pleased. Much better then the 2002 I had. Tighter turn radius and more power are the most notable pluses. Everyone likes to bash the fuel mileage - I just averaged 18 mpg on my last tank mixed city and highway. The trick is, don't drive it like a sports car (just take it easy use a light foot - it will coast on it's own momentum a lot of the time) and remember - it has a big 4.6L V8 and it is heavy ! As for reliability, learn what to look for in these vehicles and have the usual suspects addressed before you buy. 200k+ miles and I have never been stranded.

The interior and ride characteristics

Don't continue to cheapen the brand with cheap plastics and thin metals and gizmos.

2004 DISCO II SE
By f-f-e

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle because of its super cool looks! So far it has been trouble free and a real pleasure to drive. The all wheel drive makes it an excellent vehicle to operate on or off road and it sticks to wet roads with no problem. The sound system is the best I've ever heard. I've owned several SUVs and this is my favorite!

Looks All wheel drive Sound System

Better fuel economy!

It's a car you will hate to love
By Bryce

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second Land Rover Discovery. My first was a 2000. It caught on fire on the freeway. What else do I need to say about that. I was stupid and bought a 2004 model in May 2008. Okay I know it's now 4 years old now, but it's only got 46,000 miles which I thought was pretty good. I can't drive it without lights turning on every second and a dinging noise going off all day. Driving it will remind you of Vegas. My check engine light won't go off because of the gas cap either. It's funny how they use Land Rovers in Jamaica for off road safari's from 1985 but my 2004 can't make it to the store. If you are thinking about a Land Rover just don't do it. Go buy an Acura.

Outside looks will turn heads from everyone. Nice ride (when it's running). That's about it.

Doesn't matter they don't make it anymore. But pretty much everything.

2004 Land Rover Discovery
By DickB.

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We thought we had purchased a very will built car. Front brakes went in less than 35,000 miles. Rotors cost $130 each. Brake job just for front was $650. 56k miles, 6k after warranty ended dealer told us head gaskets leaking, $2500 to fix. Head gasket leaks means poor seal at factory or poor design. Rubber guards on front headlights, tail light etc, broke off, dealer fixed for free. Quality poor from factory Cannot trade in, as gas mileage is about 14. Car insurance very high. Value of car went from $34k to $11k in 4 years, cost to us $5700/yr deprecation.

Off road handles very well

Land Rover needs to build quality into cars.