2018 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Kia Sportage Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sportage model:

Impressive value and ride for the price
By Konrad B

2018 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I currently am driving a 2018 Kia Sportage SX AWD and it is a dream to drive. Very sporty (in normal/sport mode) and fun to drive with good pick up speed and handling. Very comfortable overall and the heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, and other touches are really great. I would recommend this car to anyone who is on the fence about buying one.

Wow
By Steve

2018 Kia Sportage SX 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Ride is a little stiff but driving experience is good it goes where you point it. The ABS is already my guardian angle it has twice activated because of other drivers poor decision making and noi was not too close one decided to turn left from the overtaking lane to get an ice cream without using the slip road at seventy mph. The second was a convoy of cars turning left into traffic all following each other without a care for traffic with the right of way thank you Kia

Love my Car
By Lynne

2018 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owed my 2018 Sportage for over seven months now, 6K miles. Love everything about it. I compared and test drove many vehicles for about a year and ended up purchasing this base on my findings. Love my car.

Great SUV from KIA
By Pedro

2018 Kia Sportage EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After owning a Hyundai Tucson for over 12 years, I was impressed by the 2018 KIA Sportage EX Sports package compared to the Hyundai Tucson of the same year (I would either have to pick the Sport Trim with the same 2.4L engine or go with the SEL Plus trim with just leather seats). It has leather seats, heated front seats, a 2.4L 4 cylinder engine (standard on both LX and EX models). Pricewise is very reasonable compared to the Mazda CX5.

Don't overlook this one...
By Leo

2018 Kia Sportage LX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

If you're looking for a compact SUV then you'd be making a huge mistake to overlook the Kia Sportage. I had just moved and had a little bit more of a commute so I wanted something more comfortable than my Ranger, with better gas mileage. When I started looking, what drew me in was the warranty and, as I looked more, the good reviews got me to test drive one. I think the exterior can be somewhat polarizing but I like the look and I like the choice in colors besides black, blue, silver, white, and red. Mine is copper and I think it looks great, and different from other cars on the road. What really sold me on this SUV was the interior. The quality, feel, fit and finish of the interior is outstanding. It feels like a much more expensive vehicle than any sub $25k SUV has the right to be. All the controls are laid out logically and you don't need an instruction manual to figure everything out. You have multiple ways to control things, like the infotainment system. On the base model LX I have a 5 inch touchscreen AM/FM/CD/SAT player with aux input, USB, bluetooth, and rearview camera. I can control the system using the knobs and buttons, the touchscreen, or the steering wheel controls. No cumbersome menus to go through, super simple to use and I think it sounds good. As a plus I plug my iPod into the USB port and can also control it from the steering column. The driver information system is controlled from the steering wheel and allows for a lot of adjustment to suit individual tastes. The heating/AC system is also very easy to use and works well. The LX only comes with single zone climate controls but I don't find that an issue for me. The steering is nicely weighted and the handling is very good. The six speed transmission is good and don't find it hunting for gears. The main complaint that I see in professional reviews of the Sportage is the engine and gas mileage. I think 181hp is more than adequate and I certainly don't have any trouble keeping up with California highway traffic in mine. As for mileage, I commute about 13 miles one way to work on a back country, twisty 2 lane road with about a 1,000 ft elevation change and I average 25-26mpg. I keep my Sportage in Eco mode and I didn't notice any difference in performance and I'm very happy that I can go over 2 weeks without having to fill it up. Also, my Sportage is all wheel drive and I haven't noticed any mileage penalty for that either but I feel that it contributes to the great grip in corners that it has. Another nice feature of the all wheel drive in the ability to lock the center differential which could come in handy this winter. The LX also comes with standard with 17 inch alloy wheels which look great. I would rate brake feel and overall braking as excellent. The doors, both front and rear, have large openings that make entry and egress very nice, even for very tall people. The drivers seat is very comfortable and has manual controls and nice shaping that even fits my large frame well. Manual tilt and telescope steering column also allow the Sportage to adjust to a wide range of bodies. The rear liftgate on the base LX isn't powered but I don't find that an issue. The other major complaint I read about the Sportage was a lack of storage space, which was usually pegged at between 4-6 cubic ft less than it's competitors. This hasn't been an issue for me and I think the storage space is more than ample for my needs and has plenty of tie downs to assist in organizing the space. The base LX also has tinted rear windows and a soft cargo area cover to keep unnecessary eyes from prying. Frankly, combining all these features on a base model LX with no options for less than $25k with Kia's outstanding warranty made this a no brainer for me.